FORUMS: list search recent posts

Export setting for YouTube

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Kittavong
Export setting for YouTube
on Mar 2, 2010 at 5:48:52 pm

Hey everyone, I have some questions about After Effects and YouTube. I have read some threads about it, but i still have other questions.

I made a short movie, which is about 9 minutes long. It's size is 1280 x 720. I never had this problem before until now and the problem is that it quits rendering at least halfway or more than halfway across the rendering process. Here’s my computer specs and export settings:

CPU Specs:
i3 processor
4GB DDR3
500GB hard drive

Export Settings:
Quicktime video
Photo JPEG
Medium quality
Default audio setting

I’m trying to keep it under 2gb for youtube, if you guys have any suggestions for the export settings, please let me know.

Also if someone can please explain the rendering issue I’m having. I googled it and it seems that none that I found is helping me.

Regards,
Alex

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Export setting for YouTube
on Mar 2, 2010 at 6:19:40 pm

Do you get any error messages when AE quits?
Do you have multiprocessing turned on? (If so, turn it off, you don't have nearly enough RAM for it.)

As to your output, read what Dave LaRonde has to say in:
Dave's Stock Answer #3:

Don't use AE to compress files for final delivery. The various compressors are there only to make quick 'n dirty files showing a project's progress to producers, clients, the kids, etc. AE is incapable of doing multipass encoding, a crucial feature that greatly improves the image quality of H.264 and MPEG-type files in particular.

Render a high-quality file from AE, and use a different application to do the compression. Popular ones are Adobe Media Encoder, Sorenson Squeeze and Apple's Compressor, which comes bundled with Final Cut Suite. Even compressing in Quicktime Pro is better than compressing in AE.

Making good-looking compressed files is almost as much an art as it is a science. It is NOT straightforward at all. I recommend asking a few questions at the COW's Compression Techniques forum.

For YouTube HD, I've used Adobe Media Encoder and done Quicktime with H.264 codec and it looks fine and has a reasonably small file size.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Alex Kittavong
on Mar 2, 2010 at 6:23:05 pm

Thanks for the quick response. I will check if the multiprocessing is turned on. Is the Adobe Media Encoder free?

Thanks for the very helpful tips. I will put those tips to use when I get home.

Regards,
Alex

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Mar 2, 2010 at 8:48:31 pm

The Adobe Media Encoder comes with the Creative Suite. If you have Premiere, you'll have the Encoder. If not, you'll have to use something else.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Alex Kittavong
on Mar 2, 2010 at 6:30:07 pm

Nice, Thanks for the heads up. Some very useful tips. Also i do have another question. I watched the video after it quit rendering out of no where and i noticed in one section of my movie, it sort of "glitches" like it skips or whatever. I watched tthe raw footage and it seems fine. What would be the cause of that?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 2, 2010 at 6:45:27 pm

Making a Photo JPEG file is great. Keep it up. Just use a DIFFERENT APPLICATION than AE to make it H.264, which is what I believe YouTube takes. Try Adobe Media Encoder, Sorenson Squeeze, Quicktime Pro, etc.

There certain common errors that cause AE to quit:

Using Open GL to render? Don't -- turn it off.
Got the free AE 9.02 upgrade? Get it.
Using multiprocessing with less than 6GB RAM? Turn it off -- you don't have enough to make it work. Got more than 6 GB? Read this:
http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2009/12/performance-tip-dont-starve-yo.h...
Using any HDV footage in your comp? Read on:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Alex Kittavong
on Mar 2, 2010 at 7:06:14 pm

Very interesting. So, the HDV files should be converted to atleast AVI right? I have a video converter program called "imTOO Video Converter Ultimate." They give the choice to convert to HD AVI, would that be good to import into AE and have it not freak out?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 2, 2010 at 8:26:05 pm

[Alex Kittavong] "They give the choice to convert to HD AVI, would that be good to import into AE and have it not freak out?"

Double-check the video codec used in that convertor program first, and change it to the best thing it's got. AE always appreciates high quality. Remember the old computer programmer's mantra: "Garbage In, Garbage Out".

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Alex Kittavong
on Mar 2, 2010 at 9:07:12 pm

Gotcha, Thanks a bunch!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]