FORUMS: list search recent posts

After Effects with HVX200 Footage?!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Cannon
After Effects with HVX200 Footage?!
on Mar 2, 2010 at 3:45:53 am

So I shot a commercial in 720pN on an HVX200 and i am now adding some thing to the footage in after effects. The problem im now facing is that i basically keyframed in a floating(holgraphic screen)into a dolly shot. So i rotoscoped the whole shot and it looks great in after effects. When i export it as FULL QUALITY i get a quicktime movie that seems to have almost a 2.35 aspect ratio and when i bring it into FCP the 3d object doesnt lineup with the shot where i had it lineup. I need to fine tune this graphic still, but dont want to spen more time on it if i might need to completely change something off the start.

"None but ourselves can free our minds"

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: After Effects with HVX200 Footage?!
on Mar 2, 2010 at 12:33:59 pm

check your comp settings and make sure they jive with your footage...

your hxv footage is probably 960x720 (1.33 par) 23.976 fps. use either the same for the comp settings, or you could use the square pixel equivalent, 1280x720 (1.0 par), same frame rate.

if those are good, choose composition>add to render queue. since it sounds lke you don't need an alpha/key (it sounds like it is a fully composited shot), just set the file path and render. if you needed an alpha, click 'lossless' to get into the output module settings, and choose rgb + alpha and set the color to straight (unmatted).

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
on Mar 2, 2010 at 4:24:06 pm

I'd go with Kevin's first option. I used to do the 1280 X 720 Square comp thing, but it was pointed out that this causes a loss of quality by stretching the footage horizontally.

Just toggle Pixel Aspect Correction while you work, then render with the same settings as the comp.
Quicktime player will only display the actual size, so it will appear squished, but FCP knows how to display it, and will export it properly.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 2, 2010 at 4:26:47 pm

Because you say little about your FCP workflow, and how you may have gotten your clips from FCP to AE and back again, here are a few questions for you......

What's the resolution of your FCP edit timeline: 960x720, or 1280x720?

When you highlight the clip(s) in the FCP browser, what is their H&V resolution?

How did you get the video from FCP into AE -- export the timeline, export individual clips, Automatic Duck or some other method?

What is the H&V resolution of the clips once imported into AE, and what's the resolution of your AE comp(s)?

Why are you exporting from AE? Why aren't you rendering, using AE's Render Queue?

And finally...

[Eric Cannon] "...when i bring it into FCP the 3d object doesnt lineup with the shot where i had it lineup..."

Why, oh why are you not doing the ENTIRE SHOT -- foreground and background -- in AE instead of going to all the trouble of making a quicktime movie with an alpha channel?

"Well, I wanted to have the extra flexibility" is a lame answer. You can always plan ahead and nail down what you want to do BEFORE you go into AE, which is what you should do for ANY effects shot.

You could be rendering a completed shot out of AE in the DVCPro HD codec, and simply placing it into an FCP edit timeline. I guess you like additional rendering or something.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Eric Cannon
on Mar 28, 2010 at 7:18:37 pm

Sorry it took soo long for me to respond to these. I was gone to austin for 2 weeks for sxsw. I'm going to mess with all these responses as tests now. All i had to do was export as a quicktime movie and use the settings im doing for my final export from FCP and it worked great. Ill put the link up for the commercial here shortly.

"None but ourselves can free our minds."
-Bob Marley

Return to posts index

Eric Cannon
on Mar 30, 2010 at 2:40:36 am

http://www.vimeo.com/10541280
Here's the link to the finished spot.

"None but ourselves can free our minds."
-Bob Marley

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>