FORUMS: list search recent posts

ram preview issues. snow leopard. ae.cs4

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
james schofield
ram preview issues. snow leopard. ae.cs4
on Feb 23, 2010 at 10:54:36 am

ok, ram previews, try this. Create a 5 sec comp, CLICK the ram preview button. Leave it playing out on loop, now hit spacebar, it stopped right where you told it to right? So why does it not do the same thing with it's shortcut "0"?

ive just had a year off from after effects after ten years and im not sure if im going mad, some people are telling me that you could never hit spacebar to stop the ram preview at your desired point, my argument is you can! as i said above, if you actually click the ram preview button, you can hit spacebar at will to instantly stop a preview ata certain point, but try using the ram preview shortcut "0" and its a different matter, or its a different matter on my machine, its very temperamental, sometimes it will work but only a couple of times, then when you hit spacebar it reverts to the timeline indicators last position.

HELP!

what are your thoughts?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: ram preview issues. snow leopard. ae.cs4
on Feb 23, 2010 at 4:30:16 pm

Since I rarely RAM preview anything longer than 30 seconds at a pop, it's not an especially big deal for me.

Since I can see if there's a problem at a certain point, and since I can see where it happens in relation to the layers in the comp, I can get there pretty quickly and scrub, no matter what the timeline cursor decides to do.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

james schofield
on Feb 23, 2010 at 5:53:21 pm

yes, i understand that, but a technique i used to quickly sync my animations to the audio was to ram preview say, 10 seconds, once the preview starts looping i listen carefully to the audio and when i hear the point i want to stop at, i hit spacebar. the only way this seems to work now is to click the ram preview button instead of "0" try both methods and you'll see what i mean..

hit "o" wait til its fully ramrendered your chosen timeline, thenhit space bar, see where it stops, repeat these steps a few times.

now try...

hit the ram preview button then wait til its fully ramrendered your chosen timeline, thenhit space bar, see where it stops, repeat these steps a few times. notice it stops on your comman every time.

i really dont know whats going on here as i edited my reel around christmas time like this with no problem using "o" and spacebar to stop the preview at the desired location.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 23, 2010 at 6:10:21 pm

What, you can be frame-accurate when you hit the space bar? Gawd, you have reflexes like a cat! Or a machine....

Well, that trick isn't going to work for me! I'll stick to scrubbing and command-clicking on the timeline cursor to hear the following eight frames of audio. It works just fine for my purposes, and I get stuff synced up properly all the time.

If you want to obsess about RAM Previewing, fine.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

james schofield
on Feb 23, 2010 at 6:25:51 pm

obsess? hahah whoah, easy there big fella, im just looking to see if there are any other afx users out there that have noticed this.

this method works great for me, its a much faster way of working. i find your method way too tedious.

Return to posts index

cow
Dave LaRonde
on Feb 24, 2010 at 3:54:34 pm

[james schofield] " i find your method way too tedious."

You find something that takes five to ten seconds too tedious? I don't want to denigrate your method of working, but you must get bored extremely quickly. How do you endure waiting for water to boil?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

james schofield
on Feb 24, 2010 at 4:16:08 pm

im guess i just young and good at what i do, if i can get the job done fast without compromising the quality... more $ for me. onto the next job.
you should try looking up some shortcuts in after effects, there are lots of blogs around that can give you help and advice, you'll save lots of precious time to enjoy life away from the box!

re. waiting for water to boil... my studio has an expresso machine so i dont need to wait.

Return to posts index

Adriano Moraes
on Feb 23, 2010 at 6:28:11 pm

Hi there James. I do that all the time. And just for the heck of it I tryed it just now and it worked.

I don´t really know the answer for your issue but as you said people were saying you can´t do that...well I can....I´m sure you could...

It´s not as precise as premiere or something but you get to the point after getting into the loop for a while as you mentioned adding dave´s ctrl+scrubing.

I´m on windows but I´ll check on the mac upstairs and see if it works there. Then I let you know.

The only thing I can think of is that the times it didn´t work is because you had another panel/area selected (like the annoying ALT shortcut on some applications on windows) but then again it´s a shot in the dark.

Well it was just to make sure you don´t get to think you´re crazy. If you are then that makes two of us.

I´ll try on the Leopard soon.

Cheers.

Return to posts index

james schofield
on Feb 23, 2010 at 6:39:52 pm

ha!

your a star, im not going mad! thanks adriano!

p.s. im running the latest mac os with all updates, plus the latest cs4 with all updates.

remember if you try it, to test it at least 5 or 10 times as it does usually work the first and sometimes second attempts, but not like it used to, continuously.

thanks again!

let me know how you go.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Walter Soyka
on Feb 23, 2010 at 6:23:28 pm

I think the behavior changed in CS3; if I recall correctly, AE 7 did pause RAM preview without resetting the CTI. It's a nice tip to know that you can get the old behavior back by clicking the RAM preview button.

I agree with Dave on trying to edit in AE; an NLE is way better suited for that sort of work. Even when I finish in AE, I start in FCP and lock down the edits when they must be cut to track.

If you're really desperate to do this in AE, you can use the * key on the keypad to add layer markers during RAM preview or audio preview.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

james schofield
on Feb 23, 2010 at 6:36:06 pm

hi walter, thanks for your response, yeah i totally agree with you on the NLE option, absolutely, but im not talking about editing footage, im talking about motion graphics, keyframing elements to a beat etc...

i think you must be right about cs3 too, weird thing is i did some audio syncing animation in after effects just after christmas, but no that i thin of it, i was running it on cs3!

ah well, ill just use the button when i need to, which i guess is not all that often.

thanks for your input walter.

regards

james

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]