FORUMS: list search recent posts

Remove Object in Static Shot?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Meyers
Remove Object in Static Shot?
on Feb 21, 2010 at 5:29:32 am

Hi Everybody,

I'm trying to determine the best technique to remove an object from a shot. Nothing passes in front of the object, and there is no camera movement.

I've tried the clone tool -- using a "clean" part of the shot to paint over the object. it looks alright, but the pixels start to look messy, kind of like a bad "healing brush" job in photoshop. Even though clone tool isn't perfect, it's the best option I've found, since I need to make sure I recreate the digital grain in the cover up (which is why I don't just bring it into photoshop and use the patch tool.)

Thoughts on an alternative to the clone tool? Any help would be much appreciated.

THANKS!

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
Re: Remove Object in Static Shot?
on Feb 21, 2010 at 1:19:29 pm

Could you post a screenshot?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 21, 2010 at 8:37:48 pm

Joey's right about the screenshot. You should do this first. But if you don't have the time to post a screenshot and wait for a reply, you could try this:
  • Take about 4-5 frames into Photoshop, and use the healing brush on them
  • Export an image sequence from Photoshop
  • Import it into AE
  • Conform it to the proper frame rate in the interpret footage settings
  • Loop it a LOT of times in the same interpret footage settings
  • Use the footage as a clean plate in the comp, and make a garbage mask around it

Hey, it might give you just enough pixel change wiggle room to look convincing.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Stuart Elith
on Feb 22, 2010 at 5:03:12 am

Depending on the shot, i even often prefer to use just a single still image rather than a loop of 4 or 5. With more than one, you need to be more careful with your healing work so there is no boiling or rippling. With a single frame you can just clean it up nicely and you won't have to worry about that.
If you then run some noise/grain through the image, it can often integrate really nicely. Granted, retaining the ORIGINAL grain is going to be most authentic, but you can still get a very good result. The Add Grain effect has so many customization options.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]