FORUMS: list search recent posts

Will this workflow keep good quality?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Whitaker
Will this workflow keep good quality?
on Feb 19, 2010 at 2:43:14 am

Hey Everyone,

Ive got a large project (around 10 hours of footage) that i need to edit down to 5 separate videos, each being around 2 - 5 mins. The footage is half interviews, done against green screen, that need to be keyed. And half B-roll footage that will be used when the people hit a relevant topic.

I'll need to export the project for the web and DVD. I shot everything on a Panasonic HMC150, at 720 30P. Here is how im thinking of editing:

- Bring AVCHD files into Adobe Premiere Pro CS4

- Edit down to a rough cut

- Export the sequence as cineform from PPro. (the footage is converted through the same process and quality as if it had been done through HDlink right?)(can i use TMPGEnc 4.0 Express for this export?)

- Import that cineform file into After Effects CS4. Do all color correction, grading, text, effects, and green screen keying.

- Export from After Effects as Cineform

- Import back into PPro for any final tweaks

- Export Cineform file from PPro

- Convert to web and DVD formats using TMPGEnc 4.0 Express (was told this was better than exporting to web and DVD straight out of PPro.

I didnt use Dynamic Link between PPro and AE in this outline because many people have told me it is unstable on larger projects.

It seems like my process requires me to export and import a lot, but ive been told working with a rendered file is much easier than trying to import a sequence from PPro into AE or anything like that. Im new at all of this stuff though so please feel free to give me any recommendations. Thanks!

- Shawn

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Will this workflow keep good quality?
on Feb 19, 2010 at 2:29:00 pm

[Shawn Whiting] "ive been told working with a rendered file is much easier than trying to import a sequence from PPro into AE..."

Not always true. Actually, I prefer importing a Premiere project into AE to work with it. However, in your case, it won't work well. The AVCHD codec utilizes MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 (AVC) video compression. MPEG codecs use interframe compression which is perfectly fine for an NLE such as Premiere, but not for a compositing application like After Effects. To quote Dave LaRonde:
Dave's Stock Answer #1:
If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.
I've never used the Cineform codec, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. A lot of people are using Quicktime with the PNG codec (not a png sequence, btw) to go to AE from Premiere and back.

Here's a page about working between the two programs that might help you.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Sean Whitaker
on Feb 20, 2010 at 7:29:33 am

Thanks Michael!

"Not always true. Actually, I prefer importing a Premiere project into AE to work with it."

I suppose i could try converting all my footage to cineform before i brought it into PPro, in which case i could try importing the premiere project into AE. Why do you prefer that method to, say, exporting a rendered file from PPro and bringing that into AE?

- Shawn

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Feb 20, 2010 at 8:13:18 pm

Whether I prefer it one way or another depends on the project. If it's a project that requires different things for different shots, it's nice to have all the cuts already there in AE rather then having to go through and cut it up again.
For some compositing/special effect things, it's nice to have a little extra tail on some shots.
Sometimes for titling it's nice to see the cuts so you can more easily time your graphics.

Also, it saves time simply importing the project rather than having to render it out. However, in your case, since you would need to convert it all before you edit in in Premiere to make that work, it kinda wrecks that timesaving point. In your case, it would probably save time to just render out your final edited project rather than doing all that conversion ahead of time.

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Sean Whitaker
on Feb 20, 2010 at 8:15:25 pm

i see, so importing the timeline from PPro keeps the cuts, while exporting from PPro then importing that file into AE makes it one continuous block that I would need to chop up again?

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Feb 20, 2010 at 8:24:48 pm

Yes. Importing the project not only keeps the cuts, but all the original video files are there. So you can shift and edit if need be. This link has tons of info on it.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]