FORUMS: list search recent posts

Instance

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
zol ganbold
Instance
on Feb 4, 2010 at 1:52:25 pm

hey guys,

i canĀ“t figure out how i can create an instance of my composition without duplicating them on timeline, is it ever possible?
if this is possible, do those instances have separate controll for properties like position, scale etc?
or am i asking stupid question? :-)

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Instance
on Feb 4, 2010 at 2:26:45 pm

You can treat a composition the same way you treat any type of footage. You can drag it from the project window onto your timeline and you'll have the same controls you have for any other layer.
If you want a duplicate composition, but want to be able to go into it and make some changes so you have two different compositions, just duplicate your composition in the project window (with your comp selected go to Edit>Duplicate or press Ctrl+D on Windows Cmd+D on Mac). Then you can open it up and make any changes you want without affecting your original comp.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

zol ganbold
on Feb 4, 2010 at 3:57:43 pm

hi michael, you maybe missunderstood my request

what i want to do is, i want to see 2 other instances of my comp "WITHOUT duplicating them on timeline", the point is it should affect each of them if i make any change
i tried with mirror effect or
cc tiler, cc repe tile
but these are not really doing what i want

otherwords its like so, on the timeline you have just one comp, on the screen you see 3 of them, huh? :-)

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Feb 4, 2010 at 5:01:21 pm

Sorry, I understand your question now.

You should duplicate them on the timeline, but you can have changes to one change the other. Either use expressions to tie the various properties together or use parenting.

To use expressions alt-click (or option-click, if you're on a Mac) the position stopwatch on one, drag the pick whip to the position property on the other, do the same for opacity, scale, etc. Now, obviously you don't want them to be sitting in the exact same place, so you'll need to add an amount to the position property. If it's a 2d layer, put + [500,200] at the end of the position expression and it'll offset it by 500 to the left and 200 down. If you want to get really awesome, you can tie those numbers to expression control effects so you can use sliders to move the layer around. (Then it would also be seperately animateable.)

To use parenting, you can parent one comp to another.

These two things will produce the same result when animating the position property, but return different results when rotating or scaling.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]