FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dolly Effect and Color Question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Lopez
Dolly Effect and Color Question
on Feb 1, 2010 at 3:45:57 am

Hi all,

thanks for reading and thanks in advance for your tips.

Just shot some footage for a short film, shot it HD 720pn, some 24 fps some 60 fps. Delivery will be HD as well, so I am setting up my premier and AE with those settings....

Most of the footage was shot locked off .. on tripod ... but now I am thinking of adding some small movements using the camera in AE - dolly like movements, pans .. etc .... my question is, am I being realistic? can this be done? am I going to blow out the crispness of my shot (because I will need to enlarge the footage to make the "Moves"). How much can I get away with before the resolution grain gets real noticeable.

Second question: It was pretty cloudy on a few of the shots. They are looking flat .. besides some keen color corrections, is there anything to give the shots more depth? (love a direction to a tutorial if anyone knows one --).

THANKS A MILLLION

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Dolly Effect and Color Question
on Feb 1, 2010 at 4:17:51 pm

[Robert Lopez] "...Most of the footage was shot locked off .. on tripod ... but now I am thinking of adding some small movements using the camera in AE - dolly like movements, pans .. etc .... my question is, am I being realistic?"

Sorry, not really. These are the sort of things you really need to include in your planning. You won't be happy with the results.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Robert Lopez] "It was pretty cloudy on a few of the shots. They are looking flat .. besides some keen color corrections, is there anything to give the shots more depth?"

Again, not really. The thing that makes flat lighting look flat is the lack of shadows. You'd have to invent shadows, and they'd have to be consistent, all looking like they come from the same source. It would be a nightmare.

Which leads me to this:

Dave's Stock Answer #2:

When you're out on a shoot, and you say, "we'll fix this in post" without knowing PRECISELY HOW you're going to fix it in post, don't shoot it! You'll only end up shooting it over again.

Since post typically costs three times the cost of production, fixing something in post is not a way to save money, but rather a way to spend more of it.

And, before you say "well fix it in post," always consider who's doing the work, especially if you're the one doing the work.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Robert Lopez
on Feb 1, 2010 at 4:24:09 pm

Hey Dave,

Thanks, so much, for the feedback. I completely understand. We have the shots we were after during planning, but a few new ideas came up afterwards "Oh, this might have looked better if we...." ..... as far as lightening/shadows.... small budget, mother nature, tight schedule = flat look .... I am sure it will look better after I run Looks/Colorista .... THANKS again for your time and advice.

RL

Return to posts index

David Franklin
on Feb 1, 2010 at 4:45:25 pm

While Dave is (as usual) entirely correct, I have found that you can enlarge footage up to about 115 percent before anyone but you (and fellow AE enthusiasts) will notice.

Thus, if you would like to add some small movement, such as to simulate a hand-held camera, or a subtle zoom-in during the shot, you can do so without it looking terrible.

However, this isn't enough to really make "moves" in the frame, as you would do on a high-resolution still, or to simulate dolly or pan-like effects.

http://www.artisanaltelevision.com
Made With Care In Brooklyn, NY

Return to posts index

Robert Lopez
on Feb 1, 2010 at 4:57:41 pm

Hey David --

Very well noted .. Thanks for that .. a small little move within that 115% might help things, for certain. Thanks for the insight. I guess the best way to find out the result is to get cracking on my editing.!

You might be interested to know the shots I am speaking of are mostly in Brooklyn. Hope to do it proud. :)

Thanks again,

Return to posts index

Wieger de Leur
on Feb 1, 2010 at 8:24:44 pm

And to reply to your second point; Dave is also right on the color correction.
But you can alsways try to use the curves effect and make a slight S-shape - darkening the dark parts and brightening the lighter parts. It might just add the contrast you need!

Post is expensive because it takes a lot of time. But when you have the time, why not use it?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]