FORUMS: list search recent posts

Choppy/Accelarated Movements

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Ruschmeyer
Choppy/Accelarated Movements
on Jan 26, 2010 at 9:05:41 am

Hey Everyone,

I'm shooting a music video and the band asked for an effect, where the performance somehow looks choppy/accelarated/zombie-like but pretty much is insync with the song. You can see the effect in this video (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=34617222) from 01:58 min. I think it's a pretty common effect, used in some Missy Elliot videos, too.

Does anyone know how to achieve the effect? I would imagine it's rather an in-camera-effect, but maybe it can also be achieved in post? Any help would be so much appreciated.

Best regards,
Simon

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
Re: Choppy/Accelarated Movements
on Jan 26, 2010 at 12:38:51 pm

In the red-suit shots, to my eye, it looks like the band is just moving that way. I don't see any effect. As for the other performance shots, it looks as if the editor cut right on a jerky camera movement a lot.

If you're looking for time effects, consider having the band sing, play and move at half speed, shoot it, then speed it up in post. Also consider applying the Posterize Time effect to a lower frame rate than your normal playback rate. But as I wrote, I don't think there's an effect in those shots from the Guano Apes video.

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
on Jan 26, 2010 at 12:45:32 pm

P.S. small thing: when you post a link, make sure there is a space before and after the link. :-) Then we can click, rather than cut 'n' paste.

Return to posts index

David Franklin
on Jan 26, 2010 at 4:17:47 pm

It's difficult to say for sure, because the compression on that video is pretty harsh, but I might suggest doing a test where you slow the song down by a factor of two, then film the band performing playback live to the slowed-down song.

When you bring that footage into after effects, use the interpret footage tab to double the frame rate. The result may or may not be exactly like what you see with the red suits, but it will definitely be jerky and unnatural.

And because the performance was filmed at half speed, the 200% playback should sync with the original track. (At least for the short shot durations that Music Videos generally use.)

http://www.artisanaltelevision.com
Made With Care In Brooklyn, NY

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
on Jan 26, 2010 at 7:11:24 pm

I thought I said that ... :-)

Return to posts index

David Franklin
on Jan 26, 2010 at 7:14:11 pm

Huh. You sure did. Not sure how I missed that.

http://www.artisanaltelevision.com
Made With Care In Brooklyn, NY

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
on Jan 26, 2010 at 8:16:33 pm

Great minds think alike?

Return to posts index

Jim Huffaker
on Mar 11, 2010 at 8:59:56 pm

I don't know if you figured this out already, but you'll find similar movements in Daft Punk's "Around the World" music video by Michel Gondry. Google it. They did it by playing the music at half speed while filming, having the people dance to that, and then speeding the video back up to normal for the video.

I'm sure the people in this video did something similar. Hope this helps.

Jim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]