FORUMS: list search recent posts

Time Lapse with Real time footage combined

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joshua Timmer
Time Lapse with Real time footage combined
on Jan 13, 2010 at 6:32:28 pm

I am trying to put together a music video idea and was thinking of of having a scene where the character is sitting reading a Bible, while the sun rises and people are doing there things all around him in timelapse style motion. So the main character is in the scene at normal motion but the sun rise and other people are all at accelerated motion. I saw this effect in a number of different movies, one of them is the movie 24. Where the main character is sitting at a blackjack table, and he is at normal speed and everything around him is sped up, they combine some camera pans and zooms that would be tricky but I was just wondering how the basic idea for a shoot like this would be accomplished. Would the main character be green screened and then added to the timelapse footage or is there an easier way?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Time Lapse with Real time footage combined
on Jan 13, 2010 at 6:42:43 pm

[Joshua Timmer] "Would the main character be green screened and then added to the timelapse footage or is there an easier way?"

That IS the easiest way. Don't expect to pull this off without learning how to 1) light a good chroma key and 2) shoot non-DV and non-HDV footage.

For Number 1, Google "lighting for chroma key", "lighting for green screen", "lighting for blue screen" for and find a wealth of information.

For Number 2, figure out a way to use the HD-SDI or HDMI output on an HDV camera to capture directly into an NLE, thereby sidestepping the oh-so-destructive encoding to HDV.

And DO NOT attempt to do any camera moves. You don't have motion control equipment, nor do you have the money to rent it. Use storyboards, and figure out how to do it with cuts-only.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joshua Timmer
on Jan 13, 2010 at 6:58:41 pm

Thanks for the quick response, I am learning more about green screening with every little project I get to work on, they are all mostly for volunteer stuff, but they help. I have one other question, in some of the examples I mentioned they had timelapse footage pass in front of the normal speed character, as if he was in the middle of the scene. Would this be really hard to do, or is there a technique that makes it possible?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 13, 2010 at 7:18:15 pm

[Joshua Timmer] "...they had timelapse footage pass in front of the normal speed character, as if he was in the middle of the scene.... is there a technique that makes it possible?"

Think about it: it's a chroma key! The difference is that it's a time lapse chroma key.

See why you have to plan these things out?
See why storyboards are your friends?
See why it's good to run tests if you've never used a certain technique before?

They help you avoid painting yourself into a corner.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jan 14, 2010 at 12:06:23 am

As Dave said, with good planning it won't be too difficult. The hard part is the planning. Story boards are your friend. If you want things to pass in front of the person, you'll have to either rotoscope them or have them green screened too. But that means planning what goes where and when.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]