FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compositing a 3d object with video

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jardine Sage
Compositing a 3d object with video
on Jan 12, 2010 at 10:22:25 am

Hi,

im having a bit of a problem regarding Maya and After Effects working together. i have footage of a person and a 3d (non transparent) cylinder made out of bars (which is going to be animated), and i need the footage to be inside the bars.

everything i think of seems to leave the footage out of the middle of the object, either in front or behind the 3d object in AE. i was wondering if maybe z depth would give AE the information to put the footage at the right place in z-space, or if there is any other method anyone could think of using the two programs??

i would really apreaciate the help!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Compositing a 3d object with video
on Jan 12, 2010 at 4:38:19 pm

You ought to do the work in Maya.

AE treats footage rendered in a 3D application as just another 2D layer. If you're lucky, you might be able to move the layer in question back just a little in z-space without crewing anything else up too much. Of course, ever layer will then have to be 3D, even though you may not touch their positions one bit.

AE's primary virtue when working with such footage is that it does one heck of a job compositing the various layers from a 3D application.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jardine Sage
on Jan 12, 2010 at 4:58:07 pm

thanks for the reply!

ill look into compositing the footage together in maya then.

Return to posts index

Serge Hamad
on Jan 12, 2010 at 5:53:28 pm

Hi Jardine,

Here are two tips if you are not keen on doing it in Maya for any reasons.

If you cut your cylinder in half in Maya and render the front and back separately, you would then be able to place your footage in between the two cylinder renders. No need to switch your layers to 3D, a simple sandwich stack order will do.

Here is an example:http://library.creativecow.net/articles/hamad_serge/sci_fi4.php

Another way of doing all this would be to use InvigoratorPro to import your object into AE, Map your footage to a 3D plane that you place into the object & you are done.

Hope this may help;-)

Salut.
Serge

New! InvigoMany-Media volume I & II available here:
http://www.nyc-visual.com

Invigorator/Proanimator Training: http://library.creativecow.net/articles/hamad_serge/invig_training.php

Return to posts index

Jardine Sage
on Jan 12, 2010 at 6:16:15 pm

hi serge, thanks for the reply!

yeah ive thought about the first idea, however the problem really lies in the cylinder needing to spin, whilst the footage is "caged". the setup in maya has specific mental ray effects.

thanks anyway!

Jardine Sage

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]