FORUMS: list search recent posts

touching up low quality video

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eddy Rose
touching up low quality video
on Jan 7, 2010 at 6:14:52 am

Hi All,
So I need fix up a low quality flv video I downloaded from vimeo the best I can. The biggest problem is the blockiness. I tried using remove noise/grain and got some okay results but it's still pretty gross looking. I was hoping someone out there might have some suggestions on how to go about this,,

I've been looking around for answers,, but I'm not really sure where to go or how to phrase my searches, I've never really had to deal with touch ups before (X_X)""

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: touching up low quality video
on Jan 7, 2010 at 2:24:33 pm

Well, you know what they say about making a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Here are a couple of things to try, but I don't guarantee success, okay?

Get the Instant HD plugin from Red Giant software. It's reputed to have the ability in increase resolution. I've never used it personally. I think there's a tryout version.

Try the Remove Grain effect in AE. I know your primary problem is low resolution, but I bet there's a lot of noise in the images, too.

But here's probably the best thing you can do: design your work to play off the fact that it's a crummy image. Maybe you can put it inside a frame grab of a media player. Maybe you can build a media player-type interface yourself. It'll be a LOT easier than trying to polish a turd.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Eddy Rose
on Jan 8, 2010 at 12:36:31 am

Playing off the fact it was a crummy image was the best idea anyone could have come up with,, there was seriously no salvaging this footage. So I cleaned it up best I could then added some effects to achieve that grungy look the kids are so crazy about. It's looking pretty good now that the noise and grain looks intentional.

Thanks for the idea Dave!!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 8, 2010 at 3:30:26 pm

Glad to help. If you get a bunch of lemons, make lemonade!

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]