FORUMS: list search recent posts

Create your Own Particles Images for Partical Emitter?!?!?!? Hope so ;)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Johnny Quinn Alston
Create your Own Particles Images for Partical Emitter?!?!?!? Hope so ;)
on Jul 21, 2009 at 4:17:17 am

Howdy, good day and the like...

I'm curious about manipulating a particle effect in AE. I'm working on this huge sunnovagun art video thing, and we want to have it look as if flowers are falling, but like snow.

So like, flowerflakes.

We have footage of our own flowers and we'd like to use that, because they're metal flowers from this New Orleans artist who is renown for his work, and so it would be great if I could somehow map or set a particle emitter effect to use those flower images at random or what not as the particles or sum'n like that.

Any suggestions? It would look really cool if we could just create our own flower storm.

Thanks yal

Return to posts index

Itamar Kool
Re: Create your Own Particles Images for Partical Emitter?!?!?!? Hope so ;)
on Jul 21, 2009 at 8:36:24 am

Try Particular from Trapcode. That will do the trick

Kool En De Anderen
MAC Pro 8 core/OS 10.5.4/Kona LHe/Apple FCS 2/Adobe PPCS3/Huge fibrechannel
http://www.koolendeanderen.nl

Return to posts index

Ryan McAfee
on Jul 21, 2009 at 1:29:15 pm

The particular works great for that i did that for a show I did called Spotlight on Gardening. You can see it at http://origin.peg.tv:3000/pegtv_player?affiliate=T00960

Ryan McAfee
Moon Community Access Television
http://www.MCA-TV.com

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Jul 21, 2009 at 4:58:07 pm

particular is better suited for this, but if you don't have particular, cc particle world can do this too.

there are some tutorial/sample projects on cycorefx.com that show the ins and outs of particle world.

basically, you'll want to pre-comp your particle layers (the metal flowers) as single frames in a small square comp (the should a little larger than the size that you'll want them as particles in the end).

bring that particle comp into a new comp, hide it, add a new solid (comp-sized) and add cc particle world to the new solid.

in particle world, set the particle type to textured quadpolygon, set the texture layer to the particle comp you created, set the texture time to birth and color map to custom. this will replace the particles with your custom particles.

for a snowy like motion, you might try the following physics settings. animation set to twirly, velocity to .2, gravity to .05 and resistance to .5.

for producer settings, you'll probably want to move the y position up to the top of the screen, or just off screen, and increase the x and z radius to better fill the screen and create better depth.

you'll also need to increase the longevity so the particles live long enough to fall off the screen and tweak the birth rate to create the amount of 'snow' that you want.

if you don't want the free tumbling particles that look like little flat layers raining down, you can change that setting in the 'options' at the top of the effect controls. click that, then click rotation and try setting the x and y rotations to 0. this will still allow some spin to flowers on the z axis, but not allow them to tumble in 3d and look like flat layers.

that should get you started, then it's a matter of tweaking settings to get it closer to what you are looking for.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Johnny Quinn Alston
on Jul 21, 2009 at 5:28:02 pm

Thanks Kevin for being so thorough. If it looks super super dope, I'll send you an invite to New Orleans to come check it out at the Fringe Festival or something, hahaha.

- Johnny

-JQA

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Jul 21, 2009 at 5:31:46 pm

one thing i forgot to mention... the custom particle comp will need to be the same length as the animation will be. so if the animation is going to be 30 seconds, the particle comp will also need to be 30 seconds.

an easy way to do this is with time remapping and a simple expression. after you bring the custom particle comp into the comp that will be the particle system, select it and choose layer>time>enable time remapping. this will add a time remapping property to the custom particle layer. select that and choose animation>add expression. in the expression field simply type loopOut(). then go one frame before the last time remap keyframe and add a new key frame (don't drag the end keyframe) and then delete the end keyframe. now you can extend the out point of the custom particle comp for as long as needed and the particle system will continue to loop through the custom particle frames.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Saul Vest
on Dec 14, 2010 at 3:43:09 pm

Kevin:

I just used this for a project and it worked great!! Thank you for the detailed info.

Awesome.

-Saul

Return to posts index

Michael Freedman
on Jan 11, 2012 at 2:25:14 pm

Incredibly helpful, you just saved me $399!!

Michael F

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]