FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can I Retime Video Without Changing Audio Pitch?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Davis
Can I Retime Video Without Changing Audio Pitch?
on May 6, 2009 at 4:42:54 pm

Hello,
I'm wondering if it is possible in AE to retime video/audio clips without changing the pitch of audio. The only way I have found to do this with FCP is, for instance, to slow the video down 50% in FCP, then slow down the audio separately in Soundtrack Pro 50% (there's a feature in Soundtrack Pro that allows for retiming of audio without changing it's pitch). But this a bit of a pain and also does not allow for variable retiming which I would also like to do. (I am not using AE yet, so I'm just wondering if this can be done in AE, not necessarily how to do it).
Thanks,
Chris

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Can I Retime Video Without Changing Audio Pitch?
on May 6, 2009 at 5:12:39 pm

[Chris Davis] "I'm wondering if it is possible in AE to retime video/audio clips without changing the pitch of audio."

Nope. AE is primarily a VIDEO effects and compositing application, with very limited audio capabilities. Having said that, I do like AE's reverb effect: I find the controls easy to use.

I'm an AE-FCP guy, and I don't think I would EVER trust FCP to do a decent job of retiming video. I'd choose AE hands down... and I'd make darned sure I could get the identical value of speed change and pitch shifting in Soundtrack Pro before I did it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Butch Golden
on May 6, 2009 at 6:44:01 pm

What Dave said and two possibilities.

I'm a Windows guy and don't know this experientially but FCP should be able to have the ability to separate (demux) audio from video. If so, you should be able to do a mark in - out for the length of the clip you wish to time-remap and export the audio only as wav, mp3, or aif as a separate file. Then export the video clip (with audio turned off) in your favorite flavor and place both of those items in a comp to remap the video as desired. Render or export depending on your needs and either plop that in your main comp or bring it into FCP for any further processing you wish.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on May 6, 2009 at 7:24:41 pm

You can retime the fps with optical flow plugins, twixtor, timewarp that won't affect the audio. What fps retime are you thinking of? example of video time stretched:

PAL to NTSC 104.2709376%
NTSC to PAL 95.904095904%

---------------------
Here it is in audio resampling that negates any pitch or length problems automatically
sampling 48kHz(48,000hz)

50050.0248193091 NTSC TO PAL
46033.9432061805 PAL to NTSC

Return to posts index

Chris Davis
on May 7, 2009 at 2:25:22 am

Dave and Butch,
A sincere thanks for your replies.

[Chris Wright]
"You can retime the fps with optical flow plugins, twixtor, timewarp that won't affect the audio. What fps retime are you thinking of?"

I glanced at Twixtor Timewarp. Looks like it does what I want, if for a price. I wonder how it works in FCP, as that’s what I’m currently using.

As far as “fps retime,” perhaps I’m not sure exactly what you are asking. I was actually just thinking of using mainly standard 24p footage and creating a slow motion or fast motion effect. I just want the audio to slow down and speed up with the video, but not change pitch. I would also like to be able to, for example, slow down from 100% to 50% speed over a period of a second or two. Can the program handle this?

Thanks,
Chris

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on May 7, 2009 at 4:11:07 am

Pitch shifting by tones is available in Adobe Audition, Soundbooth, FCP, protools, soundforge, soundtrack, but yea, I think I know what you are looking for. The no-eyeballing(I mean ear-balling it) that's "supposed" to be automatic in After Effect's pixel timeremap. If you only knew how many movies are made with protools and guessing........

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on May 7, 2009 at 6:30:35 am

Oh, Premiere Pro CS4 just added the pitch shifter. Looks like you're in luck. FCP can talk to it with Premiere's new XML import and you can dynamic link out the changes to AE. Go adobe!

Return to posts index

Chris Davis
on May 7, 2009 at 11:46:18 am

Chris. Thanks for the ideas. Looks like Twixtor Timewarp may be the only to gradually speed up/slow down video/audio without changing it's pitch?
-Chris

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 7, 2009 at 2:01:10 pm

I'd double-check the Twixtor web site on its audio capabilities. Twixtor's great for video, but I don't know about audio.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on May 7, 2009 at 9:35:06 pm

No, timewarp and twixtor don't pitch correct, you will have to separate the audio and pitch correct it manually either with 3 pitch keyframes in Premiere, or use soundbooth that will automatically pitch correct to the speed. All you then have to do, is place the AE twixtor post-rendered clip over the top and they will match perfectly.

Return to posts index

Chris Davis
on May 8, 2009 at 12:34:45 am

[Dave LaRonde]
"I'd double-check the Twixtor web site on its audio capabilities. Twixtor's great for video, but I don't know about audio."

Will do. Thanks.

[Chris Wright]
"No, timewarp and twixtor don't pitch correct, you will have to separate the audio and pitch correct it manually..."

Looks like I misunderstood. So the plug-in bend the pitch of the audio when retiming video? I'm not seeing how retiming is different with this plug -in than retiming the video/audio separately in FCP/Soundtrack Pro.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on May 8, 2009 at 1:20:48 am

let me re-phrase.

Neither optical flow plugin-which produce nice looking slow motion without jutter-. even touches the audio.

Only timestretch in AE actually affects AE's sound speed. You then have to pitch correct it with another program with 3 keyframes.

Make sense?

It may be easier just to eyeball it in FCP and layover the rendered nice slow motion timewarp video clip because soundtrack pro will speedchange and pitch correct at the same time.

Return to posts index

Chris Davis
on May 8, 2009 at 9:23:33 am

[Chris Wright]

"let me re-phrase.

Neither optical flow plugin-which produce nice looking slow motion without jutter-. even touches the audio.

Only timestretch in AE actually affects AE's sound speed. You then have to pitch correct it with another program with 3 keyframes.

Make sense?

It may be easier just to eyeball it in FCP and layover the rendered nice slow motion timewarp video clip because soundtrack pro will speedchange and pitch correct at the same time."

Got it. BTW, is there a program in the Adobe Suite (Soundbooth, for example) that can change speed and pitch correct at the same time, like Soundtrack Pro?
Thanks for your time.
-Chris

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on May 8, 2009 at 10:06:35 pm

Soundbooth has a dynamic link capable ASND fileformat without modifying the original file.

To adjust the timbre of instruments and voices, maintaining realism during pitch shifts, select Preserve Speech.
http://www.adobe.com/products/soundbooth/features/?view=topnew

but Audition has pitch shifting by tones.

there's a combined forum for both here.
http://forums.creativecow.net/adobeaudition

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]