FORUMS: list search recent posts

OpenGL Crash on Project Open

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nate Hanson
OpenGL Crash on Project Open
on May 4, 2009 at 3:44:45 pm

One of my students is working on an After Effects project - he's put a lot of hours into it already. Today when he opened his project he immediately got an error message:

"Crash occurred while invoking rendering plugin AE_OpenGL"

Then the program locks up and we have to Force Quit. This happens every time we open the project and we don't have time to change the render settings.

Any idea how we can salvage his project?

Nate Hanson

Pilothouse Films

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: OpenGL Crash on Project Open
on May 4, 2009 at 4:44:34 pm

My first thought is to remove the OpenGL plug-in. Instructions for this are in this Technical Support article on the Adobe website:

"Troubleshoot OpenGL problems in After Effects CS3"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 4, 2009 at 5:45:32 pm

You're best listening to Todd's advice on how to deal with the immediate situation.

This is advice for the future. When you give instructions to your students, you tell them, "Do not use Open GL under any circumstances whatsoever."

"Yeah, but what if my computer at home has an Open GL card on it, Mr. Hanson?"

Your reply is that if a student chooses to use it anyway, they are responsible for any consequences. They've been warned. If they choose to do it anyway, and have nothing to show for a project, they get the grade associated with a project not completed.

The reason: AE does a poor job of implementing Open GL. You can't count on it to work as expected, as you've seen.

How will you know when you can allow students to use it? When Adobe shouts from the rooftops that Open GL works on any computer with an Open GL card. Considering the current state of Open GL support in AE, you can bet they'd do that.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Sam Young
on May 4, 2009 at 6:21:07 pm

ditto what has been said re: removing openGL

if you can somehow make it scream and bleed, even better.

i feel your pain. i teach an AE class and on day one, i tell my students to go into the preferences and UNCHECK "enable openGL because it's a piece of crap that does not work."

Return to posts index

Nate Hanson
on May 6, 2009 at 5:27:42 pm

Thanks guys! We were able to remove the plugin and his project was saved. I'll add "KILL THE OPENGL PLUGIN" to my curriculum.

Much appreciated,

Nate Hanson

Pilothouse Films

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]