FORUMS: list search recent posts

King Kong Displacement map

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Bartkus
King Kong Displacement map
on Jan 23, 2008 at 8:54:21 pm

Did a little experimenting with displacement maps. I created the displacement map on a separate layer in Photoshop, then brought them into AE and distorted the photo with it. Check it out:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60296545@N00/2214468307/

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
Re: King Kong Displacement map
on Jan 23, 2008 at 9:36:39 pm

Very nice!

Return to posts index

Sean Siegler
on Jan 23, 2008 at 10:06:25 pm

Can you explain a bit more how you did that?
It looks really cool and seems like it could be a useful little trick.

Return to posts index

Brad Bartkus
on Jan 23, 2008 at 11:22:42 pm

Sure!
So you've got the photo of Kong (or whatever) and another layer with the displacement map on it (light areas for elements you want coming out at you, darker areas for elements going back). You open that in AE, go up to Effect_Distort_Displacement Map, then under the Effect Control you select the layer with the Displacement map in the drop down menu, select luminance under Use for Horizontal,then go down to Use for Vertical and turn it off (set Max Vertical Displacement to zero. Then go back up to Max Horizontal, set a keyframe and enter a minus number (like -20 for starters) then under your timeline slide over to your last frame, the go back up to Max Horizontal and enter a positive number (plus 20 now, so you've got an even before and after). Then hit the spacebar to preview the render.

Return to posts index

Aharon Rabinowitz
on Jan 24, 2008 at 4:20:30 am

can you show us the displacement map?

Aharon Rabinowitz
Email: arabinowitz (AT) yahoo (DOT) com
All Bets Are Off Productions, Inc.
Creative Cow After Effect Podcast
Internet Killed the Video Star: A Guide to Creating Video for the Web

Return to posts index

Sean Siegler
on Jan 24, 2008 at 4:58:33 am

Yeah, I am curious about your displacement map as well.
I assume you made it in Photoshop, but how?

Return to posts index

Jerzy Drozda Jr
on Jan 24, 2008 at 10:14:04 am

Guys! It's just a displacement map :) No biggy.

Even something as simple as this will work. It took less than 5 mins to do it. I think it this kind of photo it would be good to start off by doing a circular gradient. it's hard to get that mid tones transition if you're not a good photoshop painter ;)

maltaannon.com - Free After Effects Video Tutorials and more

Return to posts index

Aharon Rabinowitz
on Jan 24, 2008 at 4:18:55 am

Wow.

Please explain!

Aharon Rabinowitz

Return to posts index

Peter Rongsted
on Jan 24, 2008 at 11:18:28 am

it just works like any other displacement map. The lighter the map the more that part of the image will extrude from the background.
Just bring your photo into photoshop and start painting on a separate black layer with a very soft white brush. When you're done just discard the original photo in photoshop so that just the displacement map is left. Bring both the map and the original photo into After Effects. Put the displacement map effect on the original photo and point the source layer to the map you just made in Photoshop.
I think that should do the trick.

It can be bit tricky to get it exactly right though. But you did an excellent job with the King Kong image.

Return to posts index

Aharon Rabinowitz
on Jan 24, 2008 at 1:12:52 pm

yeah - I have to say, maybe it's just an illusion, but even some of the hairs seem to be well matched. That's why I ask.

Nicely done. If you can, please post the map used.

Aharon Rabinowitz

Return to posts index

Jerzy Drozda Jr
on Jan 24, 2008 at 2:06:31 pm

Heres one with more details in it. Took 8 minutes :)

What I actually do is that I create a new layer over the photo, fill it with mid-gray (127,127,127), turn the opacity to 70%, and then I use Dodge and Burn soft brushes on that layer, but it may also be good to set up several shades of gray as solid colors and use them instead. It seems that that way it will be easier to maintain the depth between certain areas, but as long as someone is a good painter it doesn't really matter.

Return to posts index

Brad Bartkus
on Jan 24, 2008 at 3:02:13 pm

Here's my displacement map that everyone's referring to. As you can see, mine's got a little more detail to it, but it's similar to the one's above.

http://flickr.com/photos/60296545@N00/2216808930/

Return to posts index

Aharon Rabinowitz
on Jan 24, 2008 at 4:27:14 pm

Now that makes a lot more sense.

Don't get me wrong Jerzy, I'm sure yours works, but this is more of what I was expecting to see. I knew there was more detail - I wanted to see how much.

Very well done.

Did you paint it entirely by hand or convert colors in the image or what? What was your technique?

Aharon Rabinowitz

Return to posts index

Jerzy Drozda Jr
on Jan 24, 2008 at 4:57:35 pm

I wouldn't get you wrong Aharon even if you wanted me too :) You know I love you man :) And that displacement is exactly my point. You have to have more painting skills, or at least a good feeling, and more time :) But as you pointed out. It works, and it works fine.

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
on Jan 24, 2008 at 5:03:04 pm

You know, a little compound blur for depth of field would be cool, too.

Return to posts index

Brad Bartkus
on Jan 24, 2008 at 5:46:34 pm

I usually start out with a layer that I've filled with 50% black. Then I duplicate one of the channels and use that as a mask to brighten or darken areas. Then I do a gaussian blur to soften it a bit and then go in and dodge and burn the areas even more (all of this is done while the layer is set at a slight opacity so you can see the image underneath). What's nice is you can see your changes in AE and if you don't like the way the displacement map is working you can go back in Photoshop and tweak it and the reload footage and try again. I've used this technique to skew ground planes (with a simple gradient), faces, mountain ranges, clouds, fireballs, etc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]