FORUMS: list search recent posts

Face replacement w/motion tracking

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
JamesLitz
Face replacement w/motion tracking
on Oct 11, 2007 at 3:11:39 am

Well, let me first say that the information you guys provide is awesome and the tutorials are loaded with information. I am shocked at how versatile After Effects is. I now find myself in a slight predicament. I am trying to put myself in the movies for a project. I have movie footage that I want to motion track, mask, and put my face on the actors, I'm just not sure how to first attack this problem. I know I will need to motion track the footage and I will need to parent the tracking info to a mask. It's just my brain starts frying and smoking at that point. I was wondering if you guys knew of a tutorial that attacks this specific effect or if you guys could give me a quick run down on the best/easiest way to accomplish this task. I really appreciate any info or advice you can give me. Thanks. James

Return to posts index

Maltaannon
Re: Face replacement w/motion tracking
on Oct 11, 2007 at 5:56:05 am

It all depends on the degree of realism you're looking for. If it's only meant to look like piece of cardboard with your face printed on it than you can use one of my tutorials called "Censoring". Unfortunately my site is down at the moment, but it should be back in a day or two.

In the meanwhile you might be interested in Andrew Kramers Demon Face tutorial.

maltaannon.com - Free After Effects Video Tutorials and more

Return to posts index

yikesmikes
on Oct 11, 2007 at 5:21:02 pm

Andrew adds sunglasses to a Demon, here:

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/kramer_andrew/Demon_Face_Warp.php

In the process he stabilizes the footage, then adds the sunglasses to a null, so the glasses move with the demon later on.

I know here's doing a demon face in the tut, but I'm thinking you head replacement is more like adding sunglasses.

If the shots or you head where at the same angles and had the same timing, no easy feat, then it might look OK, interesting to see hoe far you can push it, but like Jerzy said, great for cardboard cutout faces, like that commercial where all the faces are old guys screaming like young girls that first saw the Beatles back in the 60's.

Anyway Andrew's tut is worth a try.

Return to posts index

yikesmikes
on Oct 11, 2007 at 5:24:57 pm

Oh yes, for color correcting your face to match the scene, see this gem:

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/coots_brendan/greenscreen.php

Return to posts index

Joe_Mo
on Oct 12, 2007 at 5:56:29 pm

If your intention is to make precise replacement of your face onto the original film... then, this is most likely going to take a LOT of time.

In fact, whether or not it is doable will depend heavilly upon how the original film's person you are replacing with your face is filmed. In some instances, it may not be possible because of certain movements or camera changes.

But... it you want to give it a try...

I would suggest you note the above mentioned tutorials... but, I would also add you will probably want to buy Mocha by Imagineer (btw, there is also a tuturial on how to use this software w/ AE) for certain situtations that will make this potentially complicated process simplier (if not doable). Unfortunately, the software is extremely expensive for a hobbiest.... but, Mocha does give you the ability to rotoscope a project that could potentially take weeks to months (depending upon how accurate and how long your clip)and do it in a day (maybe).

I guess the long and the short of it... is this... what you want to do will not be easy nor fast if you want it to look realistic.

Joe Moya

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]