FORUMS: list search recent posts

No Underlining of Text? Why?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Cherniack
No Underlining of Text? Why?
on Aug 28, 2007 at 2:51:31 pm

Can someone who is close to Adobe explain what their thinking was on this? (one has to assume they were thinking SOMETING, even if it was in the loony way that some design decisions are made over there)

Graphics elements are fine except they are not part of text animations, while, one would assume, underlined text would be.

David

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: No Underlining of Text? Why?
on Aug 28, 2007 at 4:59:03 pm

This decision to not provide underlining as a built-in character formatting option was made for two reasons:

1) Animating individual characters that are underlined doesn't really work---at least not the way most people would want it to work.

2) Underlining text is usually not used when alternative like italic formatting are available. (In other words, underlined text is generally considered ugly typography.)

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Aug 28, 2007 at 5:07:19 pm

>>1) Animating individual characters that are underlined doesn't really work---at least not the way most people would want it to work.

2) Underlining text is usually not used when alternative like italic formatting are available. (In other words, underlined text is generally considered ugly typography.)<<

Thanks Todd, for responding. I can accept reason 1. but as for reason 2:

Sometimes you want 'ugly' to make a stylistic point.

Why do the other Adobe apps allow it? Should After Effects alone stand as a bastion for typographical correctness? Perhaps you guys should get an internal Inquisition going at Adobe and bring the heretics into line :)

David

Return to posts index

mmhmichael
on Aug 28, 2007 at 5:31:25 pm

if you want to play around with making animated shapes using the text animators - try making a block of text that is just the | symbol (shift+back-slash key) in a big thick font. kern them extremely close together and you get a nice banner shape. i've animated this along a wavey path to get some nice 'flying banner' type effects. and rolling the scale animator up and down the range of text gives you nice effects as well.

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Aug 28, 2007 at 5:37:05 pm

Nice creative solution. I'll figure something out that works in the scene.

David

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
on Aug 28, 2007 at 6:56:47 pm

Excellent solution, one which can be applied to .... ____ ---- and others ...

Return to posts index

Rob Webster
on Aug 29, 2007 at 3:04:36 am

Two times when one may want to underline: 1) Making a citation of a book's title, according to MLA standards guides, and 2) If needing to make a graphical representation of a web page with hyperlinks underlined. While some web pages don't do this and many people disable this in their browsers, to much of the general populace, underlined text means "hyperlink".

There may be other examples, too, but those come immediately to mind. I'm not saying it should or shouldn't be offered in AE; I'm just noting two situations where a bigger font or italics might not be a better option.

-Rob

Return to posts index

Colby Fulton
on Feb 14, 2013 at 1:40:47 am

The real reason is that Adobe doesn't care about wasting people's time. Creating a line to underline text takes 10x longer and doesn't move with the text. It's a stupid, thoughtless mistake, much like the haphazard choice of keyshorts across Adobe software. Inconsistent, stupid, lazy choices are made by incompetent Adobe employees everyday, and the lack of underlining is just one more example of this. I spend a lot of money on your programs, and stupid little decisions like this eat up my day and cause a great deal of wasted time... which is very valuable.

Just fix it and stop making excuses.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Feb 14, 2013 at 7:47:23 pm

Colby, if you want to request a feature, you can do so here:
http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

This specific feature has not been in the top 100 features requested in the past several years. We don't want to waste our time doing something that very few people have asked for.

Your characterization of us as lazy and incompetent doesn't agree with my personal experience of the people developing After Effects.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Colby Fulton
on Feb 14, 2013 at 8:18:39 pm

I joke, but you guys are doing a great job. Please don't think of your work as a waste of time! Just because something's difficult, doesn't mean it's not worth doing. Accomplishing the worthwhile goal of underlined type would help your team build confidence in yourselves, and contribute to a pattern of success that other Adobe employees might be inspired by. This small gesture may help the entire company come together and resolve, for example, the inconsistent keyboard shortcuts. The team working on Illustrator might be inspired to adopt Command-i to import files. Wouldn't that be something! Then the team over at InDesign might do the same. If both those groups do it, realizing that it makes sense to have consistency among programs that are designed to work together, maybe the team at Flash might realize that Command-r is a stupid keyboard shortcut for importing files and also adopt command-i. It could all begin by proving that the After Effects team aren't just a group of time wasters waiting for people to suggest useful features, and have some initiative. I have confidence in the After Effects team. I've been using your software for 20 years, back when it was created by CoSA. Now those guys really created something special! I know it has been slowly improved over the years, but don't stop now. After all, it could revolutionize the entire Adobe corporation... and possibly, the world.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
podcasts
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]