FORUMS: list search recent posts

Another workstation question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mister Cat
Another workstation question
on Jun 22, 2007 at 7:54:44 pm

One other thing for building a new workstation. The cost of either this Dual Core Intel

Return to posts index

hhv_pro
Re: Another workstation question
on Jun 22, 2007 at 9:34:29 pm

AE does take advantage of multi-threading and QUAD core will help. You will see noticeable improvement in rendering. If you can afford, then definitely go with dual Xenon Quad core CPU. Also you should upgrade to a PCI express-based video card like NVIDIA Quadro FX 1500/3500. Get no more then 4GB(assuming XP 32 bit) memory and don't forget Raid based storage.
To save money I would get CPU/Memory/Video card together when buying PC and upgrading storage when necessary later on.

Return to posts index

Mister Cat
on Jun 23, 2007 at 2:11:06 am

Thanks for the input. And yes, the Quadro 3500 is on my list as well as 4GB RAM. I'm going to have to really sell them on spending the money on the system already, so I know a RAID will push it over the edge money-wise. That defintely will have to be a future item. Wish me luck!

steven

Return to posts index

beenyweenies
on Jun 23, 2007 at 2:13:25 am

Actually, After Effects 7.0 and earlier is NOT multi-threaded.

AE CS3 does take advantage of multiple cores, but any version prior is lacking. You will see a speed increase with more cores using 7.0, but nowhere near what you would if it were truly multi-threaded.

Since CS3 is coming out in a matter of weeks from what I hear, it's a sound investment to buy a multicore/multiprocessor rig. Problem is, for each core you should have 2GB RAM installed or AE will not allow you to render multiple frames at once. Since 32-bit PCs are limited to 3GB RAM, Mac Pros are a very nice alternative.

Return to posts index

omnidecay
on Jun 23, 2007 at 4:02:31 am

My rig is a Quadcore 2.66 running with a Quadro 4500 I have 2 gigs of ram and a TB of memory. AE7 does not render AMAZINGLY fast on my machine, its good but CS3 will be better. If you get nucleo to do your rendering the processor works like a dream. As for your graphics card...AE doesnt really take advantage of having a great gpu. Hopfully that will change with CS3 as well.

Return to posts index

Mister Cat
on Jun 23, 2007 at 4:22:12 am

I pre-ordered Production Premium a while back so, like everyone else, have been anxiously awaiting the shipping date. And nucleo pro is on the list as well. Whatever I'm ultimately granted budget-wise for a machine, it'll be a huge jump from where I am now.

Return to posts index

hhv_pro
on Jun 25, 2007 at 6:42:53 pm

beenyweenies On Actually, After Effects 7.0 and earlier is NOT multi-threaded.

This is the story:

Since days of AE 5/6 After Effects includes the Windows MP plug-in (MThread.aex), which adds multiprocessor acceleration when you run After Effects in Windows XP or 2000
If an operation or effect is computation-intensive, such as the Time-modified Blur effect, the plug-in may greatly increase rendering speed; however, if the operation is memory-intensive (for example, scaling or rotating), the increase may be minimal.

So depend on what you are doing you may or may not see the noticeble increase, but it was there.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]