FORUMS: list search recent posts

shock wave

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
biscuits
shock wave
on Jun 1, 2007 at 2:13:29 pm

Hello everyone!

I am just interested in creating a schockwave effect, basically that distorts the original image in an expanding ring. An example would be a drop of water falling in a bucket and creating an expanding ring/wave. I really don't want to use waveworld, because I cannot figure that effect out for the life of me.

Anyways, I am just looking for alternative ways to create this effect (just distorting/bulging the original image) with no external plug ins other than Cycore.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

beenyweenies
Re: shock wave
on Jun 1, 2007 at 3:39:00 pm

Here's a way you could do it with no plugins:

1. Create a solid white layer

2. Create a circle mask on the layer

3. duplicate the mask, set it to "subtract" and shrink it in slightly using the mask tools (not by scaling the mask)

4. This should give you a ring. Apply Fast Blur enough to make it fairly soft ( Fast Blur is the exact same algo as Gaussian blur, but much faster render).

5. Animate the scale of the layer from 0 - 200% or so, so you have a ring growing from the center out past the bounds of your screen.

6. Duplicate this layer several times, offsetting it in time for each by maybe 10 frames. This will give you a rippling waves type of look

7. Precomp all of these layers.

8. Apply Displacement Map to your footage, and use the precomped ripples as the source of the distortion. You will need to set the distortion to be based on Luminance rather than colors. Crank up the horizontal/vertical values to taste.

9. For extra credit, you could apply Compound Blur to the footage as well, using the same precomped ripples as the source of the blur. This would cause your footage to ripple AND have a slight blur as the ripples pass through it, which would look more like a heat wave than, say, a time/space distortion effect.

Return to posts index

biscuits
Re: shock wave
on Jun 1, 2007 at 4:08:13 pm

That is an awesome way to get the effect! Thanks! I'll see how well I can pull it off =)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]