FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pre-Render vs. Render

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
djelder
Pre-Render vs. Render
on May 28, 2007 at 8:20:17 pm

I have never pre-Rendered anything before, but I am have a HUGE file to render out, and I keep coming across this buffer error, dealing with the cache overflowing at 60%. I lowered it to 50% it worked a couple of times and then it didn't later on. I was wondering if someone could walk me through a good render workflow for a slideshow of 135 HI-REZ images at 5 in x 5 in, @ 300 dpi making it 1500 x 1500. I need to finish it by tomorrow afternoon, any suggestions? Thanks

Return to posts index

moldyboot
Re: Pre-Render vs. Render
on May 28, 2007 at 10:17:38 pm

i don't know the structure of your comp, but it doesn't sound like prerendering would be much help in a slideshow style animation, unless you had some background layers that you were able to precomp... particularly if they were cpu or ram intensive (effects like echo, force motion blur, fractal noise, and use blending modes, etc.).

first off, you should probably ask yourself if you need that much resolution in all of your images, 1500x1500 seems pretty large. do you ever see them at 100% scale? if you were able to decrease the size of your images, i think you would have better luck.

another option would be to render in sections and composite the rendered pieces in a final comp. you can do this by defining the work area to a small sections of your comp, ae defaults to render the workarea so you would just need to adjust the workarea for each segment and render.

Return to posts index

Jon Walker
on May 29, 2007 at 1:09:03 am

Make sure you have the caps lock key engaged when rendering. I know it is simple and may not solve buffer overflow issues but you would be surprised on how much it helps to relieve processing power. Could also try rendering in blocks of say 5 sec intervals and then piece them together in a non-linear editor.

Return to posts index

mbevilacqua
on May 29, 2007 at 5:15:17 am

What does the caps-lock do???

Return to posts index

Ben Heusner
on May 29, 2007 at 5:49:56 am

It prevents the frame from rendering on-screen. It's great to do, if you messing around with a big comp and adjusting a number of parameters. Hit Caps Lock, do your changes and release it to let the frame render.

Another thing to do when rendering is to simply minimize the AE window to the Dock/Task Bar. Again, simple but seems to work.

If you're still getting troubles rendering then do a search on this forum for the "Shecret" or "Secret" preferences and turn off layer caching and turn on purging.

HTH,
Ben

Curious Turtle Professional Video
Training | Editing |Support

http://www.curiousturtle.com

Return to posts index

Mike_P
on May 29, 2007 at 1:33:49 pm

It helps to render touchy projects as an image sequence. That way if it crashes you still have all of the frames up to the point of the crash and can continue from there. Also if you have any other free machines on your network set up a network render.

Return to posts index

djelder
on May 29, 2007 at 2:55:49 pm

My comp is going to be projected onto a huge 6 foot globe, so it needs to be larger the 1460 x 1460.

If I use the BG Render Script I found, it helps, and I was able to set up 3 other computers to help with the render through the network, BIG TIME SAVER. Overall it helped with the suggestions, but still what is the difference between Pre-Render vs Render?

Oh, and I never ever render without using the Caps Lock

Return to posts index

bogiesan
on May 29, 2007 at 4:26:54 pm

> My comp is going to be projected onto a huge 6 foot globe, so it needs to be larger the 1460 x 1460.<

This implies you are using a projection system that understands the task. Hope so. Lots of projectors require full frame video that has been cropped so be sure you test his before committing.

Pre-rendering and rendering: If you have preocmps or nested sequences (or layers) that are golden, they will NOT change, you can pre-render them and import the movies. Now the movie simply plays into the timeline without any additional processing for applied filters because everything is baked into the movie.
When you use this technique are strictly project-based decisions. Sometimes it makes no sense. Example: You've got a greenscreen shot that requires lots of hand-drawn masking and a couple of obscure filters applied to four copies of the shot. You would pre-render the key with alpha to avid all processing.

bogiesan

This is my standard sigfile so do not take it personally: "For crying out loud, read the freakin' manual."

Return to posts index

moldyboot
on May 29, 2007 at 4:44:17 pm

yep, pre-render is just rendering with a post-render action to import and replace usage function. so when you pre-render, your render will be automatically imported to the project and any instances of that particular comp the was pre-rendered will be replaced by the newly rendered footage, thus reducing the render time (and resources used for the render) for any other comps that had that particular nested comp.

the trade off is that to modify that footage you now have to modify the original nested comp and then replace the rendered footage with the modified comp.

Kevin Camp
Designer - KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

djelder
on May 29, 2007 at 4:57:44 pm

Thanks for the insight, we are doing a test today. So I will find out in the near future if it works. Thanks again

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]