Input needed on new After Effects Render Management Software

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Colin Braley
Input needed on new After Effects Render Management Software
on Apr 12, 2007 at 3:58:31 am

Hi everybody,
I've been posting here for a pretty long time now, and I've come to really value the opinions of many people on this forum. I've recently been working on a render management program for 3d artists/compositors, and I have a description of it below. Below the description, I have a few questions I would like to ask you all, so I can have your input as I finalize this software.

Alright, I've recently been creating a standalone render management program to work with After Effects, and other 3d and compositing software. This is a standalone piece of software that can be thought of as a "universal render queue", in that it can render more than After Effects Comps. As of now, this application can render AE Comps, and Maya scenes. However, I am working on adding support for Combustion, Lightwave, and other applications. Also, this program has the option to render After Effects comps faster than usual if you have a multiprocessor machine. This is done by launching multiple background instances of aerender much like Gridiron's Nucleo product (great plug in by the way). Additionally, the program has 2 other useful features. It has the option to send emails out to the user periodically during the render process, as each render completes. Lastly, it has the option to shutdown the computer when all the renders in the queue are finished.

While this is a standalone app, not a plug in, I plan having tight integration with After Effects itself. From After Effects, the user will simply be able to run a script called "Submit to Render Manager," to place the entire After Effects render queue into the Render Management software. The user can then render out the render queue and continue to work in AE.

Alright, here are the questions I have for you:
- What apps (besides AE and Maya) would you like to see supported?
- Is there anyone who would want the ability to write custom plug ins to support other software?
- How important is a feature like Gridiron Nucleo's "commit to disk" to you?
- Any good ideas on what to name this thing? :)
- What other features would you like to see?

Lastly, the initial version of this will probably be freeware, and will definitely be Windows only. However, I am definetly planning on creating a mac version in the near future, provided people are interested in this software. Below are some links to screenshots of the software.

Screenshot 1

Screenshot 2

Screenshot 3

Thanks everybody!
~Colin Braley
email me at cbraley AT vt DOT edu

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]