FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to render only every Nth frame in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Xavier Bonet
How to render only every Nth frame in AE
on Jul 29, 2020 at 11:24:32 am

I have this project I'm working on that involves recorded footage and animation and the look we're going for is stop-motion-y. So everything's ready in AE and we slapped over everything a PosterizeTime effect in order to get the look we're going for. Our original material was in 24fps and we're going for 8fps. Of course, this means every 3 frames of our project are exactly the same. So when it comes to exporting—and due to the fact we have a lot of resource-hungry stuff layered on there—I'm wondering if there's a way to not waste time having AE render out the same frame 3 times (which at this instant is taking about 3 mins per frame) and instead somehow tell AE: "Hey, only render every 3rd frame into TIFF, and I'll triplicate it afterwards, when I pop it in PPro!"

At this time, and because when aren't we on a tight deadline?... I'm "solving" this by manually jumping to every 3rd frame and exporting that frame only through Composition > Save Frame As... But this is enough to almost make me want to give up my job in post-production!

Somewhere I read to use this expression:

n = 3;
time * n;

But, first, I'm unsure where exactly to put it; second, if I'm not mistaken, that tells AE to play every 3rd frame—but does that affect rendering? I guess it would, right?

P.S. If you've got any recommendation as to the what would be the best/fastest way to import the every-3rd-frame sequence into PPro and have every frame last for 3 frames by default, that would be great! As that's the next hurdle to jump!

Return to posts index

Matthew Woods
Re: How to render only every Nth frame in AE
on Jul 29, 2020 at 4:23:30 pm

Sounds like you are being more complicated than you need to be. Why not just work in an 8fps composition, and export an 8fps movie for premiere?

Check out my plugins for AE, Premiere, Motion and FCP.

http://monadnock.org/plugins/

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: How to render only every Nth frame in AE
on Jul 29, 2020 at 6:45:24 pm

[Matthew Woods] "Sounds like you are being more complicated than you need to be. Why not just work in an 8fps composition, and export an 8fps movie for premiere?

Check out my plugins for AE, Premiere, Motion and FCP."

Yep, and you can add Timewarp to play with certain portions of the clips.
I've done it to speed up or slow down ranges sometimes used the freeze option.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]