FORUMS: list search recent posts

After Effects: 3D Anchor Points changing angle when I move an object from the centre of comp to the bottom of the comp?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zac Pickin
After Effects: 3D Anchor Points changing angle when I move an object from the centre of comp to the bottom of the comp?
on Jul 14, 2020 at 4:35:16 pm

Sure this is a simple error on my part but can't work out how to keep the anchor points from changing.

So i have an object positioned in the centre of my comp:

I have changed the layer to 3D and you can see that if I was to rotate using the Y-axis it would rotate the rectangle as if you were looking at it straight on,

However when I move the rectangle to the bottom of the comp the axis appear to change by themselves and Z-axis pulls down a bit, see image below:

If i was to rotate on the Y-axis now it wouldn't be animating in the same way as if it was in the centre. Is there a way to make sure the axis do not do this when being moved around the comp? or a setting in preferences?

Hopefully this is an easy fix and I'm just missing something, if anyone needs more details just shout.

Thanks,

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
Re: After Effects: 3D Anchor Points changing angle when I move an object from the centre of comp to the bottom of the comp?
on Jul 14, 2020 at 7:10:37 pm

Thats a tough one. Just make sure its the pointer you have selected. and not the anchor point tool...maybe you used a shape? try using a solid with a mask...though that still doesnt explain why its happening...Although i do have other anchor point bugs. you could always get RAP (reposition anchor point tool). you can download it for free and it will recenter your anchor point whenever you want

Return to posts index

Filip Vandueren
Re: After Effects: 3D Anchor Points changing angle when I move an object from the centre of comp to the bottom of the comp?
on Jul 15, 2020 at 9:24:43 pm

This is not strange behavior at all but just perspective.
Just as it would be in the real World:
Take a piece of wood with a nail sticking out; the nail is a dot when viewed head on.
Move the wood any length down or up and you’re starting to see the side of the nail/axis.

If you want to counter this behavior, you can enable “auto orient towards camera” so the layer will rotate slightly to keep pointing at the camera.

it might make other interactions with the layer weirder though

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]