FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shockwave with polar coordinates effect: awkward line visible from center to top

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tsovinar Martirosyan
Shockwave with polar coordinates effect: awkward line visible from center to top
on Jul 13, 2020 at 6:51:31 pm

Hi,

I have made a shockwave following Andrew Kramer's instructions in this great tutorial:

So, it's a fractal noise effect in a pre-comp, and above it two adjustment layers:
1. adjustment layer with polar coordinates effect
2. adjustment layer for a clean edge with offset effect
3. pre-comp with inside it:
---------------- 1. adjustment layer with color vibrance effect
---------------- 2. solid with 1) fractal noise effect and 2) unsharp mask effect

Somehow I see a vertical line (I'd say a pixel wide) from the center to the top of the main composition where the shockwave is interrupted,
Please see this screenshot for reference: 14217_capture.jpg.zip

I haven't been able to figure out what the reason could be.
I would very much appreciate it if anyone would have an idea and could hint at the reason and/or solution.

Many thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
Tsovinar

P.S. I haven't posted this question to the Video Copilot forum because I thought it wouldn't be appropriate as I haven't used the VC plug-in for the shockwave (except color vibrance, obviously). If you think this question should be sorted in the VC forum as well, please feel free to do so (it has been done for me so far, I don't know by whom).

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
Re: Shockwave with polar coordinates effect: awkward line visible from center to top
on Jul 13, 2020 at 7:45:51 pm

This tutorial specifically includes a clever method to make sure that you never see this unwanted "seam".

It's probably best it you watch it again and understand that process.

Simon Ubsdell

hawaiki

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
Re: Shockwave with polar coordinates effect: awkward line visible from center to top
on Jul 13, 2020 at 9:09:29 pm

rewatching a 25 minute video to find 1 6 second segment...so cruel...if i had time id help

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 13, 2020 at 9:36:58 pm

You don't have to watch 25 minutes because the technique in question is covered at the 9:50 minute mark.

Andrew's tutorials always work ... but only if you have the patience to pay attention.

Simon Ubsdell

hawaiki

Return to posts index

Tsovinar Martirosyan
on Jul 14, 2020 at 6:46:59 am

Dear Richard, I'm not that silly to post a question accompanied by a tutorial that contains my answer only if I had paid closer attention to it. I thought there would be no need to emphasize that I had followed the instructions on this trick as I did mention that my second layer is an adjustment layer for the clean edge with the offset effect. Clearly, I asked this question because I found that I can't make it perfectly seamless with this trick. Of course I have tried to play with the settings, but whatever I do, this little vertical interruption doesn't disappear. Here's a screenshot: 14218_offset.jpg.zip
This is what happens: if I move this rectangle area one step left or right, this line only becomes wider. If I make the area any wider or narrower, it affects the fractal noise, naturally, but it doesn't affect this line. The same holds for the two settings of the offset effect: they only apply to the "tissue". When I render this video in high quality, the line is still there. Both the main composition in the screenshot and pre-comps here are 3840 x 2160 (I needed to make them bigger than my main-main composition as I don't want the edges of the shockwave visible there). The pre-comps here only have time remapping applied to them, but turning them off doesn't change anything, of course. I've got three pre-comps that are three different colored shockwaves and this line appears throughout all of them. Andrew's trick is amazing, it worked perfectly for the turbulence, but somehow there's something else going on in my file that creates an unwanted side effect, and I have no clue what it could be. Hence my question. So, do you perhaps have any ideas?

Return to posts index

Tsovinar Martirosyan
on Jul 14, 2020 at 6:46:25 am

Dear Simon, I'm not that silly to post a question accompanied by a tutorial that contains my answer only if I had paid closer attention to it. I thought there would be no need to emphasize that I had followed the instructions on this trick as I did mention that my second layer is an adjustment layer for the clean edge with the offset effect. Clearly, I asked this question because I found that I can't make it perfectly seamless with this trick. Of course I have tried to play with the settings, but whatever I do, this little vertical interruption doesn't disappear. Here's a screenshot: 14218_offset.jpg.zip
This is what happens: if I move this rectangle area one step left or right, this line only becomes wider. If I make the area any wider or narrower, it affects the fractal noise, naturally, but it doesn't affect this line. The same holds for the two settings of the offset effect: they only apply to the "tissue". When I render this video in high quality, the line is still there. Both the main composition in the screenshot and pre-comps here are 3840 x 2160 (I needed to make them bigger than my main-main composition as I don't want the edges of the shockwave visible there). The pre-comps here only have time remapping applied to them, but turning them off doesn't change anything, of course. I've got three pre-comps that are three different colored shockwaves and this line appears throughout all of them. Andrew's trick is amazing, it worked perfectly for the turbulence, but somehow there's something else going on in my file that creates an unwanted side effect, and I have no clue what it could be. Hence my question. So, do you perhaps have any ideas?

Return to posts index

Tsovinar Martirosyan
on Jul 14, 2020 at 7:38:25 am

UPDATE.
It seems that I accidentally found the solution. I really couldn't see why it would have to do with this, but apparently, I needed to scale up only the adjustment layer with the offset effect with only 1 percent. I had scaled everything up 200% because I had made the composition twice as big so that the edges of the shockwave wouldn't be visible in my main comp. Apparently, scaling the offset adjustment layer 201% instead of 200% did the trick. I still don't know why, though. Anyway, I had tried pretty much everything but scaling.
Here's the screenshot: 14219_solved.jpg.zip
In any case, thanks for commenting.
But please, the next time, don't take me for a completely witless idiot) I'm only a moderately witless idiot) Not to the extent of posting a tutorial without having watched it first))

Return to posts index

Filip Vandueren
on Jul 14, 2020 at 3:30:47 pm

Is the dimension of your comp or the solids/adjustment layers an odd number ?
Sometimes that could cause after effects to actually anti-alias where it shouldn't.

Return to posts index

Tsovinar Martirosyan
on Jul 14, 2020 at 3:46:47 pm

Hi, Filip, thanks for commenting! No, they are all even numbers, but that's a useful piece of information that I'll keep in mind. I found out that for this particular case, scaling up 201% instead of 200% would fix the problem. I don't know what was so special about that 1%, but at least my problem is solved)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]