FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to create plane wake turbulence schematization (probably very simple)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jacob Giacometti
How to create plane wake turbulence schematization (probably very simple)
on Jul 12, 2020 at 12:47:27 pm
Last Edited By Jacob Giacometti on Jul 12, 2020 at 12:49:19 pm

Hi,

My After Effects level is medium !

I am looking for a way to reproduce the white "wave" bellow in AE.
The idea is "particles" of wind passing around the wing and creating (wake) turbulence behind the plane. So this "wave" should be animated, like flowing backwards.
I have tried playing with Particular, but can't seem to find a way to create a "mathematical" regular wave like this.

This is the result I'm trying to match, or even improve if you have suggestions.

Thank you :)

Return to posts index

Filip Vandueren
Re: How to create plane wake turbulence schematization (probably very simple)
on Jul 12, 2020 at 3:37:36 pm

Remember: it only appears as if there’s an emitter sitting in the wing showing a complex behavior, in actuality: the plane and the wing are moving. The air particles were relatively stationary until they got disturbed.

Knowing this, the visual effect can be achieved by rotating and moving and emitter through space along the x-axis.
The speed of the particles themselves (maybe combined with air resistance) would create the Growing effect, the combination is a corkscrew, which viewed from the side is a sine-wave.

Now you need to move your camera (or the particular world offset) Equally fast along the x-axis. Reinstating the apparent standstill.

Return to posts index

Jacob Giacometti
on Jul 12, 2020 at 4:08:13 pm

Hello,
Oooooh you're right, that's very interesting,
Including the part where you suggest making the emitter rotate along the x-axis, hadn't thought of that !
OK I will try modelling something according to the grand truths you just laid upon me !
Are you into aviation yourself or something ?

Return to posts index

Filip Vandueren
on Jul 12, 2020 at 6:53:48 pm

Not an aviator ;-), just a bit of interest in physics.
But I was once struggling with making a kind of spiral galaxy in particular, and actually spinning the emitter while rotating the world in the opposite direction turned out to be the only way to do randomized spirals from what appears to be a standstill center

Return to posts index

Jacob Giacometti
on Jul 12, 2020 at 7:05:13 pm

Curious to see what that looks like!

Return to posts index

Filip Vandueren
on Jul 12, 2020 at 9:14:47 pm

Because of compliance/copyright/...
I can only show you the first Rough test I did.
The final version had photographs of employees, a IIIOI data stream and a flow of tech-icons to represent people, data and tech working together on some project.

Seeing it back, it was actually the reverse I described it earlier:
The emitters were on the outside, circling a center, they shoot particle towards it and with air resistance and an attractor they Slow down and stay put in the center.
The world and the 3 emitters turned at slightly different rates so the spiral moved slowly, but the emitters actually moved pretty fast

Return to posts index

Jacob Giacometti
on Jul 12, 2020 at 9:27:19 pm

Thank you for sharing the visual,
It looks nice
it must be cool animated

I can show you some of the things I do, I'm making a film with only insects we shot in the Philippines
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCC71RypUFAfLnXEVIzw-llA/videos
(these are just some shots of the entire film)

Anyway thank you I found a way to make the turbulence that is not as advanced as what you explained but I'm glad I now know how to do it with a 3D dimension when I need to ^^

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]