FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing keyframe behavior to multiple layers starting at different times

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
André Macedo
Editing keyframe behavior to multiple layers starting at different times
on Jul 3, 2020 at 5:17:53 pm

Hi All ! Hope you´re doing Ok!

I need to animate a city map with a few dozens of icons that will be fading and scaling in, along my compostition timeline, through out time.

I would like to give these icons, the same keyframe behavior (scaling and fading in).

I was wondering how i need to approach the animation in case i need to go back and edit my keyframe behavior, (lets say speed up the fade in of all my icons), without having to edit all the icons keyframe behavior one by one.

How could i aproach this time savior method?

Thank you !

Return to posts index

Andy Ford
Re: Editing keyframe behavior to multiple layers starting at different times
on Jul 3, 2020 at 8:15:57 pm

If you will be adjusting all the keyframes an equal amount (for example, you have them fade in over 30 frames but now you want them all to fade in over 15 frames), you can select all layers and reveal the opacity property for all layers and then drag and hold over them or shift-click each end opacity keyframe to select (highlight) them all. Then you can just click on one of the highlighted keyframes and move it and the rest will follow. Is this what you are asking?

-------------------------------------------------
Video Producer / Digital Marketer / Gear Reviewer / Author
-- http://www.AndyFordVideo.com --

Return to posts index

André Macedo
on Jul 3, 2020 at 8:54:14 pm

Hi Andy,

Thank you for reading and taking the time to answer my question.
I would say your suggestion would work - i didn´t mention before the icons would be starting/fading-in at different times in my timeline - but i guess it doesnt matter and your suggestion works in this scenario aswell.

Before i only gave a "fading-in" example as an eventual re-edit frame behaviour, but of course your suggestion would work with all other available properties, such as scaling.

In my head i was thinking more in the following way:
An independent layer with a null object where i could add properties to. And apply the null object properties to my several layers that contain the icons. That way i would only re-edit properties in the case of need in my null object layer. Could this be another possible approach ?

I just say Null object because i tried before posting my question giving properties to a null object and pickwipping them, but it didnt go as expected.

I will try your suggestion! Thank you *

Return to posts index

Filip Vandueren
on Jul 3, 2020 at 9:03:36 pm

Exactly, the “leader” layer I referenced to could be a Null.

Return to posts index

André Macedo
on Jul 3, 2020 at 9:05:06 pm

Hi Filip !
Thank you for responding.

I think your first suggestion is the one i am aiming for:
Apply behaviors to the properties of 1 "leader" layer, then attach the properties of the "follower" layers accordingly to this 1st "leader" layer -- And then Offset my "follower" layers in my timeline, expecting them to behave as the "leader" layer properties.

I hope i understood correctly - i will try this out.
Thank you again Filip *

Return to posts index

Filip Vandueren
on Jul 3, 2020 at 8:49:31 pm

There are ways to do it with expressions.
For example: add the keyframes to 1 layer, starting at time 0.

And have al the other layers reference the values in that layer, but offset in time by their own startTime...
Something like:

thisComp.layer(“leader”).scale.valueAtTime(time - thisLayer.startTime);

and comparable expressions for other animated properties (opacity, anchorpoint,...)

you can also find approaches using markers instead of startTime, for example to trigger a reveal and a hide at those markers

Return to posts index

André Macedo
on Jul 3, 2020 at 9:10:30 pm

Ei Filip!

Yes! I will try giving properties to a "leader" Null Object. Thank You very much !!!

Return to posts index

André Macedo
on Jul 6, 2020 at 10:48:54 am

Hi Filip,

i tried your suggestion on creating a null object - giving properties such as opacity and scale - worked GREAT. Great time savior way to approach. Thank you.

I also tried with the "position" property, but naturally it grabbed the value of the position of the anchor point of the null "leader" layer, attaching my icon to the null layer directly.
like so,
thisComp.layer("leader").position.valueAtTime(time-thisLayer.startTime);

So how should i approach the grab of the position value of my null layer as i do with the other properties?

Thank you again !

Return to posts index

Filip Vandueren
on Jul 6, 2020 at 1:06:04 pm

Simple answer; to get motion relative to each layer’s unique position,
Don’t animate position but anchorPoint.

The other way would be to write a specific position-expression for getting the difference between the Null’s position and the position it had at keyframe(1), and adding that delta to each layer’s current value, instead of just copying it.

Return to posts index

André Macedo
on Jul 6, 2020 at 1:51:32 pm

Hi Filip,

Yeah, ill animate the anchor point, my motions are simple enough, this 1st method will work.
Thank you for following up, and once again clarifying this to me.

André M

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]