Weird border visible in glow effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tsovinar Martirosyan
Weird border visible in glow effect
on Jun 30, 2020 at 9:55:52 am

Hi everyone,

Here's the file: 14205_border.jpg.zip

I get to see this weird border in the glow of my spheres at certain frames, but only when the camera is turned on. It's not on the edge of the layer, as far as I understand. I'v tried to see where it comes from by turning effects and layers on and off one after another. It disappears when I turn off the glow effect, or change the settings, but I don't want to do that. Also, and most importantly (I suspect), it disappears when I change the blending mode of the two sphere pre-comp layers from "normal" to "screen", but I can't have that as well, though eventually I may be forced to duplicate the layers and trim them here and there so that I can render the "screen" blending mode version only on the problematic frames, as I understand that blending modes cannot be keyframed. But I'd hate to do that... there must be a better solution, don't you think? Or even if I approach the issue with duplicating, I understand that I can regulate which layer is rendered when with the help of expressions, but I don't know where to begin there, I have very little understanding of expressions at this point.
So... any educational ideas?

P.S. (Now that you're already here...) I can't rasterize these pre-comps of course, perhaps that is part of the reason of why the spheres look so blurred. Do you happen to have any suggestions on how I could improve the quality in this particular setting? (The background is fine, this frame is just motion blurred.)

Sincerely,
Tsovinar

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
Re: Weird border visible in glow effect
on Jun 30, 2020 at 7:04:37 pm

i think i need screenshots of your problems and of your ae layout

Return to posts index

Tsovinar Martirosyan
on Jun 30, 2020 at 7:11:05 pm

Hi Richard, I've attached the file, it's under this link 14205_border.jpg.zip
Is it not visible to you? Or do you need more screenshots?

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
on Jul 1, 2020 at 6:29:54 pm

i was hoping to see more of the layers too...but im not sure if its needed...

have you tried cleaning the image cache?

Or it could be that its slightly rotated and the image is cutting off in 3d space from another layer

or less likely, did you at any point, move your camera in time...sometimes if the orginai of the camera has been moved from 00:00:01, then it messes up...but this is rare

have you tried putting both the glows after all the other effects.

...now im out of ideas

Return to posts index

Tsovinar Martirosyan
on Jul 2, 2020 at 4:39:40 pm

Hi Richard, thank you for your comment.

Cleaning the cache didn't change anything, I haven't moved the camera in time at any point, and changing the order of the effects doesn't resolve the edge issue but messes everything else up. I think your second suggestion is very likely. You see, the two spheres are separate pre-comps, and they are parented to a null layer that rotates, and the camera pans around it from the side to the front. So, yes, the layers are slightly rotated, in 3D space, and the glows of the spheres are intersecting.

Do you think this visible edge phenomenon can be fixed?

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
on Jul 2, 2020 at 7:38:42 pm

if you solo the spheres does the problem fix itself...if so just push the background farther into z space

Return to posts index

Tsovinar Martirosyan
on Jul 3, 2020 at 10:09:32 am

Ah, yes! It's a painstaking process to change their positions at this point (have to do it frame-by-frame), but it does work! Thank you very much, Richard!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]