FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tracking and compositing curved surface

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gerry McCarthy
Tracking and compositing curved surface
on Jun 26, 2020 at 11:19:10 pm

Hi all. I've searched high and low and not quite found what I'm looking for, so thought I'd check with you all. My guess is videos/tutorials exist for what I want to do, but I'm just not searching right bc I lack the vocabulary to articulate what I need to do.

So, let me start with the effect I'm trying to achieve.

I have a subject taking a drink from a coffee mug. I made a shape on the mug using some blue painter's tape cut down to a 16x9 ratio in case it was easier to key that out. But basically, I want to put a video onto the coffee cup and then zoom in to it after the person takes a drink.

So, I guess what I'm needing to do is figure out what the best way is to track the video footage onto the coffee mug. I had trouble with keying so I tried to switch over to Mocha AE (I do not own Pro) to see if I could planar track it. Took a while -- lots of hand keying -- but I do have the blue tape (where I want to overlay the video onto) properly tracked.

My trouble is, once all that tracking is done, what's the best way to have the video go onto the mug and look like it's there. Like, on the mug. Basically, have the motion/perspective match. I hope that makes sense.

I feel like I've seen that before in commercials and what not ... maybe a music video? It has to be possible. Like I said, I just don't think I'm thinking about the question in the right way. I'm just doing this for me, btw. To practice -- push myself.

Thanks in advance. Welcome any and all help, and can answer whatever questions you have.

Return to posts index

Chaz Chester
Re: Tracking and compositing curved surface
on Jun 27, 2020 at 2:27:37 am

If you're trying to wrap a 2D layer around the front of a cylindrical object, the simplest option would probably be to use CC Cylinder. From there, you'll be able to keyframe the rotation to match that of the mug. As far as I know, After Effects doesn't have a good way of tracking the rotation using only one tracking point.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]