FORUMS: list search recent posts

Removing objects (against transparent background) under a certain size?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
joel penner
Removing objects (against transparent background) under a certain size?
on Jun 20, 2020 at 9:42:11 pm

Hello. I am working on a stop motion title sequence. Each letter is an individual stop motion sequence done on a scanner. When the objects (fruit, etc) are removed they sometimes leave behind residue. As a new letter comes on and the previous one ends the residue from the previous letter also disappears. I want to delete these small white spots uniformly instead of having to do animated masks for each letter to remove the residue manually.

All of these small pieces of residue are only a few pixels large, with the background being transparent. Is there any way for AE to remove all artefacts under a certain size? If one piece of residue was only 30 pixels in area, then I feel like it would be easy to differentiate that from the actual letters which are larger.

Any ideas for doing this in AE or Premiere would be appreciated. I tried doing the Dust & Scratches effect in Premiere but it was also performing adjustments on the letters themselves which I don't want. Thanks.

Video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0u8by7u5b5be89n/stop-motion-letters-dust.m4v?dl=0

14191_stopmotiondust.jpg.zip

Return to posts index

Filip Vandueren
Re: Removing objects (against transparent background) under a certain size?
on Jun 21, 2020 at 11:50:47 am

Red Giant's Alpha Cleaner has sliders for removing specks and holes with size/level threshold-sliders.
Seems like just the thing for this job.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
Re: Removing objects (against transparent background) under a certain size?
on Jun 21, 2020 at 1:08:38 pm

The Erode/Dilate effect (set to Erode) is the only realistic way of approaching this. It will inevitably have a slight effect on the detail that you want to keep but you should be able to get a pretty decent result with a bit of care.

Simon Ubsdell

hawaiki

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]