FORUMS: list search recent posts

IPP2 / REDwideGamut RGB workflow

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jonathan alenskas
IPP2 / REDwideGamut RGB workflow
on Jun 14, 2020 at 12:59:23 pm

hello

I am following (or trying to ) a IPP2 color workkflow for VFX inside AE.
The red footage color profile is REDWideGamutRGB and has been exported in .exr format to me.

assuming the correct workflow in AE should be as follows:
project settings
- 32bit
- working space set to sRGB (although not sure if i should use P3-DCI)
- linearise enabled

interpret footage-color management
- assign profile as REDwidegamutRGB

but here above is my problem - this profile does not exist so i cant have AE correctly convert the footage to linear.

The only way i currently have this working is is to assign sRGB profile to footage and then apply opencolorIO to the clip on timeline and convert or view set as:
input:RED-linear-REDWideGamutRGB
output:P3-DCI

However this mean i have to build in this layer plus an invert color layer for every comp plus to color pick accurately i would have to turn this on and off - not ideal.

anyone have a solution? I have looked for an icc profile for REDwidegamutRGB but cannot find one.

Jonathan Alenskas

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: IPP2 / REDwideGamut RGB workflow
on Jun 14, 2020 at 5:05:20 pm

Interesting topic.
Have you tried the REDUSER forum?
There are some hardcore VFX guys there that deal with RED in so many angles.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: IPP2 / REDwideGamut RGB workflow
on Jun 25, 2020 at 2:27:49 am
Last Edited By Chris Wright on Jun 25, 2020 at 3:40:39 am

normally you always set your color management to the highest gamut you're working in or you're going to clip colors.

If using opencolorio, disable all color management, use linear light as you will need to set each clip to 'Preserve RGB' anyway to get io to work correctly.

You can make a .icc with opencolorio's built in export to .icc feature. I personally wouldn't use .icc because it uses lower quality bradford transforms than a lut(which I don't use below 64 cube)

free
https://lutify.me/free-redwidegamutrgb-log3g10-log-conversion-luts/

You can skip opencolorio completely and directly go from REDwidegamutRGB to P3 lut(as io is just a bunch of luts anyway) to save a step. then uncheck before render.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]