FORUMS: list search recent posts

Prism Effect Customization

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Barratt
Prism Effect Customization
on Jun 9, 2020 at 7:01:40 pm

Hey all,

I'm currently working on a prism effect in AE, and I was wondering if anyone could help me bring all the duplicate layers back to the center to merge them all.

Here's footage of what it looks like so far without the layers merging to the center.

So far I've made this by manually positioning each duplicate layer, making it a child of a null object, and then rotate the null object to make the children spin around the center. I've counter rotated the children's rotation to that of the null so that it always remains upright. Now the question is... How do I make it so it can come inward to the center.

Would love any advice here, as well as any extra tips if you know how to make this project more modular.

Thank you!!

--

Alex T. Barratt
Multimedia Designer

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
Re: Prism Effect Customization
on Jun 9, 2020 at 8:21:33 pm

you moved them manually out...why did you not manually move them back in?

Return to posts index

Alex Barratt
on Jun 10, 2020 at 9:39:46 am

Well they are the null objects children, so they are currently at 0,0. I guess I'm looking for a way to make it easy adjustable by slider.

--

Alex T. Barratt
Multimedia Designer

Return to posts index

Robert Müller
on Jun 10, 2020 at 1:59:43 pm

Since they are distanced from the null they can't be at 0,0, unless you messed with their anchor points. You should check again or maybe post a screenshot

Return to posts index

Alex Barratt
on Jun 10, 2020 at 3:15:40 pm

Right, so adjusting the duplicate layer positions back to zero, does bring the layers back to center, but each layer has a unique position as you can see in the screenshot. I'm looking to adjust them all at the same rate, to bring them back to center, or spread them outward.

Here's a screenshot.

Thanks for the replies so far. ☺

--

Alex T. Barratt
Multimedia Designer

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
on Jun 10, 2020 at 4:06:04 pm

well you could create a null and parent them all to that null then animate the scale of the null but then have it so they also scale inversely to that null so that they stay the same size...just a theory though

Return to posts index

Alex Barratt
on Jun 10, 2020 at 5:03:51 pm

Hmm, OK. So that's definitely in the right direction. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to best invert the data. So that the null scale of 80% would become 120% on the duplicate layer. Any advice there? I'm currently researching how to create a global var where I can store some of this data.

The "+ x" is just to show where I think I'd be adding stuff.

LMK!

--

Alex T. Barratt
Multimedia Designer

Return to posts index

Robert Müller
on Jun 11, 2020 at 1:11:28 pm

Hey Alex, I just replied to your other topic over at the expression forum, but Im not ure if this does what you are looking for. The best solution in this case would be adding a slider to your null as a "factor" and as it reaches 0 all layers move to the center. Like this:
fact = thisComp.layer("Control").effect("factor slider")(1)/100;
value*fact

Because the standard sliders go from 0 to 100 and I just want the multiplier I divide by 100 in the first step

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]