FORUMS: list search recent posts

how do i make an animation loop for a certain duration

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jahari Coriano
how do i make an animation loop for a certain duration
on May 15, 2020 at 12:48:56 am

I made a walk cycle animation and I only want it to loop for a certain duration so i can then animate the character differently. I used the expression, "loopOutDuration(type = "cycle", duration = 0)", but when I change the duration besides 0 the animation will just freeze up.

I an animator. Well a starter animator but, I am getting better and better each day. Hopefully I can post my animations on youtube one day. I will be posting some things about after affects if I have a problem with it.

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
Re: how do i make an animation loop for a certain duration
on May 16, 2020 at 6:33:59 pm

This isn't as straight forward as you might like it to be. The loopIn() and loopOut() expressions are really intended to take over all of the animation before the first keyframe (loopIn) or after the last keyframe (loopOut). If you only need to be able to create your own keyframe animation after the looping portion then you can use loopIn (not loopInDuration) and specify the number of keyframes after the first that should be included in the loop, for example:

loopIn("cycle", 3);

This would include the first through fourth keyframe in the loop, your non-looping animation would start after the fourth and continue for the remainder of the timeline.

Otherwise your simplest option for transitioning from a looping to non-looping animation might be to split the layer. Leave the original to loop and remove the loop from the duplicate. Lining up the state of the loop and non-loop might be challenging. You could use a linear() expression to transition from the loopOut version to the non-looping version but that'd be a bit more complex.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]