FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lottie

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will Duncan
Lottie
on May 6, 2020 at 5:54:14 am

I saw a few results in here for Lottie, but not a lot of chatter. I'm seeing more and more requests for web-animations using AE, Bodymovin' and Lottie.

Documentation is pretty stark though. It's easy to make something that's beastly in filesize or that causes the CPU to kick on the fans.

I was curious if anybody is working on Lottie projects with AE, and would love to discuss best practices, tips and tricks and experiences...

Return to posts index

Krzysztof Bednarski
Re: Lottie
on May 6, 2020 at 8:26:59 am

I worked at a software house as a creative dir. for a bit and created animations for Lottie as well.

I'm not very familliar with the developer/programming side of things but one common feedback I got from the developers was that Lottie can cause some delays. It's not about the weight of the files (JSON files still beat the crap out of any gif or mp4) but more about accessing the Java Script Lottie library.

This is not really an issue if you want to just have a vector animation play on the website. The delays start to be noticeable if you want to add a few interactions (which is the best part of using Lottie). For example - with every 100px you scroll down the site, the animation changes by accessing/ jumping to a different part of the animation. With these kind of things, apparently it's not easy to get a fast and fluid effect .

From a creative standpoint - I think Lottie is great. Being able to create e.g. a vector animation of a character which "weighs" 30KB which would weigh 2MB as a gif. Of course Lottie doesn't support many AE effects so you have to be careful what you use in AE, depending what platform the animation will be used on (mostly rely on simple shape and path animations). Effects supported by Lottie are updated from time to time and you can check them on their website.
https://airbnb.io/lottie/#/supported-features

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]