FORUMS: list search recent posts

Animate 100 of the same object dropping at random with varying speed

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Shewell
Animate 100 of the same object dropping at random with varying speed
on May 2, 2020 at 4:57:53 am

I need to creatively illustrate 96% of people dropping out of an educational program, and I have an idea to have 100 "people" icons on the screen, and then have 96 of them "drop" off the bottom of the screen until there are only 4 left, but I am not sure how to animate it. I think having 100 layers in an AE project file would render very slow, and I am not sure how to achieve the varying speeds or random drop effects. I was hoping someone here might have some suggestions on how to best construct the desired animation.

Return to posts index

Justin Shewell
Re: Animate 100 of the same object dropping at random with varying speed
on May 2, 2020 at 4:13:18 pm

So, an update...

I created one comp with 12 copies of an image (a person icon) in it. I added a null object and put in several slider controls: one slider control for each copy of the image that controls the speed at which it falls, and then one slider that controls the Y position (i.e. how far the objects fall). For each "speed" slider, I set it to generate a random number using the following expression:

seedRandom(index, true); // I don't want the value to change each frame
gaussRandom(1, 3);

It works really well for that single comp. However, I need 96 moving objects, so I duplicated the comp and moved it over slightly to offset the X position. When I ram preview it, I get pairs of object moving at the same speed. What is the best way to get each instance of the comp to behave differently?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]