FORUMS: list search recent posts

Syncing Animation to Music (workflow question)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tyson Cooley
Syncing Animation to Music (workflow question)
on Apr 29, 2020 at 6:46:03 pm

Hey, all. Loooong-time lurker, first-time poster.

I'm currently working on a series of music tutorial videos in which an instructor plays through a song with accompanying visuals for the score / notes / chords / etc. I need to animate those accompanying visuals, preferably in a way that's more aesthetically appealing than just cutting between still PNGs.

The director of the series gave me this video clip as a reference for the kind of effect that he's looking for:

I am capable of reproducing a similar effect, but only by painstakingly manually animating every chord.

The problem is that this doesn't scale well -- there are almost a hundred videos planned (tens of thousands of chord changes altogether).

So I'm trying to figure out a workflow to make things smoother.

Maybe there's something I could do with scripts to create a procedural animation? Maybe there's some kind of drag-and-drop solution that I could develop?

Ideally, I would like to be able to define a list of chords for a song (each one associated with its own image asset) and have the list generate an animation that's locked to a certain BPM, but that might just be a total pie-in-the-sky fantasy.

I'm very new to AE and haven't yet figured out the order of operations for tackling something like this, so any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: Syncing Animation to Music (workflow question)
on Apr 29, 2020 at 8:27:51 pm

There are plug-ins like the Trapcode one that will take audio cues but that's a bit much.
You will still need to layout the chord progressions to your liking.
Create chord combos using preComps.
I would use Timewarp to stretch them to specific BPMs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]