FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blending an image in to a video

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil Hulton
Blending an image in to a video
on Apr 22, 2020 at 12:16:32 am

Hi,

I am very new to after effects, so this may be very basic! I am basically trying to put a picture of a car I took (that has been cut out) in to a video of a neon light tunnel. But I want to know how I would go about making the neon lights reflect off the car to make it look like it is actually in the tunnel, any advice would be perfect ☺ I've been trying to find a tutorial for it but can't see one anywhere

Return to posts index

Graham Quince
Re: Blending an image in to a video
on Apr 26, 2020 at 9:16:32 am

Ideally you would want to use an 3D model of a car so that the lines in the tunnel move across the car accurately but... you can get pretty close faking it in AE.

Make a copy of your tunnel lights layer and a copy of your car layer. (I'm assuming the car is cut out - if not, use the mask tool to cut the car out.)

Place the tunnel copy above the car layer and the car copy above tunnel. Using the Effects & Masks area on the timeline, set your Tunnel copy to Alpha mask. This will cut out a car shape from your tunnel. Now, using a blending mode (probably Screen) to have the tunnel's lights appear on the original car.

I've made a series of tutorial for CreativeCow - unfortunately due to everything that's going on, they haven't all be published yet, but Masks and Transfer Modes have. You might find them useful:

Now the lines will be exact copies, so the next thing you're going to want to do is possibly reverse the scale of the image, so they appear mirrored and then use a Displacement Map on the tunnel copy to add bumps from the car image.

http://www.YouTube.com/ShiveringCactus - Free FX for amateur films
http://shiveringcactus.wordpress.com/ - FX blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]