FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is there a way to make a .mogrt-like After Effects template for reuse *inside* After Effects? Sick of duplicating comps dozens of times for minor changes.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Ha
Is there a way to make a .mogrt-like After Effects template for reuse *inside* After Effects? Sick of duplicating comps dozens of times for minor changes.
on Apr 16, 2020 at 5:59:46 am
Last Edited By Nick Ha on Apr 16, 2020 at 6:00:20 am

I do a lot of UI design mockups, and UI design often requires reusing a lot of simple elements, like buttons with labels and stuff.

Problem is, that involves, for example, creating a million duplicates of the same button, with the text slightly changed for each new instance. I'm getting pretty tired of it. Especially if said button is animated.

And if I change the design of the button in the slightest, I now have to propagate that change across every single duplicated comp. And that's an absolute nightmare.

I know AE lets you create .mogrt files for use within Premiere where you can quickly modify just the text fields and it'll manipulate the template for you. But I was wondering if there was any way to do this for After Effects itself. Something where you drop a precomp into another comp, mess around with the Effects panel, and it'll change the text or other parameters inside the precomp.

Has anything like this ever been made before? I can't imagine I'm the only one with this use case.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Is there a way to make a .mogrt-like After Effects template for reuse *inside* After Effects? Sick of duplicating comps dozens of times for minor changes.
on Apr 16, 2020 at 11:55:57 am

Yes, you can, via the same Essential Graphics workflow. In Ae, instead of using a MOGRT, those Essential Graphics properties are exposed as "master properties."

See the official docs here:
https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/master-properties.html

And the unofficial, very visual ones here:
https://www.schoolofmotion.com/blog/master-properties-after-effects/

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Nick Ha
Re: Is there a way to make a .mogrt-like After Effects template for reuse *inside* After Effects? Sick of duplicating comps dozens of times for minor changes.
on Apr 16, 2020 at 6:14:17 pm

Holy crap, what a game changer. Thanks so much!

Another question: do you know if there's a quick way to unfold the Master Properties collapsible? (Like S for Scale, P for Position, and T for Opacity)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]