FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best technique for changing the color of two walls on a static shot with people moving past

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Glen Jennings
Best technique for changing the color of two walls on a static shot with people moving past
on Mar 10, 2020 at 8:39:11 pm

Reference image:

Hi I have been tasked with changing the color of these walls and would love some advice from the community.

There is a blue wall in the back and a yellow wall in the front room of this shot.

A women is running through the shot being chased by a man who is in all white. As you can see from the ref image, the yellow bounces off onto white surfaces (including the all white outfit of the man running through the shot.)

If I can make both walls white or grey would be ideal, but if I could make them uniform to either yellow or blue would be acceptable. I have tried "Change to Color" which almost gets me there but there are issues with grain flicker.

As you can tell this is tricky for a couple reasons - the moving actors, the spill onto white surfaces and the film grain.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Image : walls2_99916.png

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Best technique for changing the color of two walls on a static shot with people moving past
on Mar 11, 2020 at 3:54:27 pm

You can try AE's Rotobrush tool. It, combined with the Refine Edge effect can sometimes be useful.

However, you may have to resort to traditional rotoscoping. (Keep in mind all the tips about using several masks for each person [two or three masks per limb, etc.], using tracking data from Mocha AE, etc.)

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Kevin Reiner
Re: Best technique for changing the color of two walls on a static shot with people moving past
on Mar 11, 2020 at 7:07:11 pm

If the camera is locked you can try doing a difference matte to isolate the actors. Then you can adjust the background without worrying about the actors as much.

Neat Reduce Noise might help get rid of that grain.
Otherwise, some rotoscoping will come into play.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]