FORUMS: list search recent posts

Puppet Pin not moving with Shape Layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Robertson
Puppet Pin not moving with Shape Layer
on Mar 3, 2020 at 5:47:16 pm

So, I am try to make a fish which flaps about while moving onto the screen. I was following a tutorial and used puppet pin tool to create the flapping movement. Then I added a simple position keyframe to move the fish onto screen, but unlike the tutorial, the puppet pins don't move with the shape layer. What happens is very strange, it's like there is an outline of where the original shape layer was, and the puppet pins only have an effect within that shape. I made a GIF to try and illustrate it better, I'm not sure if this is allowed: https://imgur.com/a/OHWlnhb. Can someone please help? I want the fish to flap about as it's moving onto the screen without the weird semi-disappearing effect.

Thank you

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
Re: Puppet Pin not moving with Shape Layer
on Mar 3, 2020 at 5:56:09 pm

A shape layer by default is continuously rasterized at every frame. Meaning the puppet will have defined boundaries that respect only the alpha at the frame you applied the effect. Once you move it, the layer's alpha change, but the puppet stays the same (which is required) and that "bug" seems to occur.

In your tutorial, the person was either using a bitmap image, a vector without the continuously rasterized checkbox marked or he/she precomposed the vector prior to applying the puppet.

In your case you can either precompose the shape and apply the puppet outside, or apply it inside the precomp and animate the precomp itself.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Paul Robertson
on Mar 4, 2020 at 1:52:27 pm

Thank you for that. Looking back at the tutorial, yes I think he pre-comped it. I tried to do that but wasn't successful, I will try again.

Return to posts index

Paul Robertson
on Mar 4, 2020 at 2:02:27 pm

No, I tried again to pre-compose and apply the pins on top of the precomposition, but I got the same effect. Do you know what I might be doing wrong?

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Mar 10, 2020 at 6:54:56 pm

Do you have animation happening in the precomp? Don't. Precomp the shape. Apply puppet to the precomp. Then animate psr rotation after that.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]