FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to draw an ellipse on-screen with an arrow

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paula Zimmerman
How to draw an ellipse on-screen with an arrow
on Mar 3, 2020 at 3:00:03 am

Hi,

I have most of this figured out. I can get the circle to draw in using a trim path, but I want to attach an arrow to the path so it follows the path as it draws in, so it appears like the arrow is drawing the circle. I've tried adding a 3-pointed polystar, but I can't get it to attach to the trim path. Can anyone help, please?

Thanks,

Paula

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
Re: How to draw an ellipse on-screen with an arrow
on Mar 3, 2020 at 12:38:54 pm

If you go to the "Window" tab, there is a UI script thats native to the newer versions of AE called "Create Nulls from Paths"
When you open it, select your besier spline path and click Trace Path, a null will be created that follows your path with a 0-100 value. Paste the same value of the trim paths to it, or link them with expressions.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Paula Zimmerman
on Mar 4, 2020 at 1:19:41 am

Thank you for the tip, Cassius. I am getting closer, I have the null now, but when I match the trace path progress value to the trim path start value, the null doesn't follow the path. I've tried parenting different combinations, but then I'm back to the circle drawing in while the arrow stays still. I'm missing one more piece.

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Mar 4, 2020 at 9:32:34 pm

It should match positions if both values are the same on the progress (null) and End (trim path).

Unfortunately I can't say why things are off without seeing your file.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]