FORUMS: list search recent posts

AE: how can you parent type to a range selector?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erin Donnalley
AE: how can you parent type to a range selector?
on Feb 25, 2020 at 9:57:44 pm

Hello all, hoping someone can help me, maybe there is a better way to do what I am looking for..

Explaination:
I am trying to make a text appear like a computer type. BUT the type that is appearing needs to look inserted (like an edit to an already completed sentense). So there is one final word at the end of the sentense that gets pushed out as the new type appears.

Issues I have had so far:
-I have tried, masking and moving the end word but without keyframing every letter it is diffcult to make it look like computer type.

-I have tried word processor and type-on (presets) but no luck getting the timing of the final word to match up with the appearing type without again individual keyframes.

-I have tried Range Selectors, but even with the offset, the final word stays in one place rather than moving out as each new letter appears, or I can't match the timing without again keying every letter.

Because I have multiple concepts using this motion with different text sets, I was hoping to not have to individually keyframe every letter/character.

Actual Question:
Does anyone know how to parent a text layer or null to a cursor end point in a range selector?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Erin.

If needed: I'm on a Mac (high sierra), AE Version: 17.0.2 (Build26)

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
Re: AE: how can you parent type to a range selector?
on Feb 26, 2020 at 12:33:27 pm

Have you tried to do the linking by accessing its borders?

For example, if you create a null and paste
L = thisComp.layer("text");
rect = L.sourceRectAtTime(time,false);
x = L.toComp([rect.left+rect.width,0])[0];
[x+width/2+value[0],value[1]]

on it's position, then position it by where you would like for your word to be. When you increase the text (or animate the end), the null should move along with it.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Erin Donnalley
on Feb 26, 2020 at 7:35:30 pm

Sorry I am not great at expressions just yet, still learning.. could you break this down for me as to what each lines means?

I under that 'L' is my text layer, and x is the end value of everything moved.. but I'm not sure I understand what the rest of the values are or where to insert my text that is stationary, and the text that comes after the inserting copy.

Thanks so much for or all your help!
Erin.

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Feb 26, 2020 at 8:55:48 pm

That piece of code has nothing to do with the content of the text you'll type. It just serves the purpose of positioning something at the boundary of a text layer. Meaning you could break your text into 2 text layers, one being the first part with the extra already typed into it (which you'll reveal via the animator options) the second is the words you want to push over as the text is being typed (this one gets the expression into its position property).

As the code itself:

"L" is the variable that stores your text object. So whatever your text layer is called, you should change it between the quotations.

That returns the coordinates and a bunch of accessible data that the font drawing command can generate

This part just calculates where the result is in the composition and makes sure it stays there as the text moves. X is just a variable name, the important part here is the "value[0]" that indicates you can reposition your text after you paste the expression.

here is a file that exemplifies the usage: https://we.tl/t-MRzqb7qAHh

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Feb 27, 2020 at 9:36:01 pm

I made up a little sample project that shows how you might use an expression to use the Typewriter text animator to insert the contents of one text layer into another, like this:

Here's the project:
14028_typewriterinsertion.aep.zip

I've commented the expression, but I'd be happy to answer questions on how it all works.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Erin Donnalley
on Feb 27, 2020 at 10:52:34 pm

Thank you all for your help!

I am going to try these options tonight and let you know if I have any questions first thing in the am.

Thank you sooo much!
Erin.

Return to posts index

Erin Donnalley
on Mar 2, 2020 at 7:21:26 pm

OK, so later than I'd have liked... but I finally got it to work. Thank you @Walter Soyka & @Cassius Marques for your patience as I really am trying to learn how this stuff works.

I did have some back and forth getting it to work correctly with line wrapping, and I am still working out how to get my 'second part' or end word to wrap correctly as the inserted text types on with variable ragging points. I have 7 different lines of text in 3 layout sizes (each with different wrapping and ragging points) so 21 possiblities. The longest line is 74 characters, where the widest width of the text box is 20. But of course the font that was decided by the peeps that do, is not a standard width for every character, and there are different colors, and formating (underlined in AE *sigh) for the inserted text vs. the original sentense. 😲 They don't make it easy right?

But all that to say I am hellbent on figuring it out so thank you. Thank you so much for helping me get this far!

Sincerely,
Erin.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]