FORUMS: list search recent posts

Thickness of text responds to audio

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jordy Veenstra
Thickness of text responds to audio
on Feb 18, 2020 at 10:43:39 am

Hi all,

I am making a simple animation for a client where a piece of text responds to the bass of a song. The standard Audio Amplitude -> Expression to text property thing. Now I've been asked to do that effect on the thickness of the text. If there's no bass, the text font uses the normal type, if there's a lot of bass, the text font uses the bold type font. As there is no parimeter from scratch in AE's text settings I presume I have to make this happen through expressions etc? Can someone help me with this?

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Thickness of text responds to audio
on Feb 21, 2020 at 10:24:31 pm

The problem is that there's no way to animate between font styles of a typeface. It would be just a hard cut between the two.

If that's what they want, fine. In the latest release of AE, you can control bold/italics/etc. with expressions, so you would use an if/then statement on the amplitude of the bass. (You would get that by either using Sound Keys from Red Giant to create keyframes from just the bass OR by going into Adobe Audition and isolating the bass and creating a new track from it and then running AE's Convert Audio to Keyframes command.)

Actually, I just had a thought, is the piece of text the same throughout the whole video? There might be a way to have it smoothly transition between a bold and normal font type, but it would be a massive pain if the text is changing frequently.

Now, you could animate the thickness of the text's stroke with AE's normal text animators (driven by an expression) and get pretty similar results. The effectiveness of that technique would vary depending on your typeface, of course.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Chaz Chester
on Feb 22, 2020 at 2:23:25 pm

Instead of switching between font weights, would it work to use the thinnest weight and have the stroke width animate? It would create the illusion of the font getting thicker.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Feb 24, 2020 at 6:44:35 pm

It might work or it might not - depending on the font and the client requirements. But, if you look at my response, it was one of the things I suggested (last paragraph before the sig line).

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Jordy Veenstra
on Feb 25, 2020 at 8:33:08 am

Thanks all! Much appreciated. I think I'll be able to suit the requirements with these options. Ill do some testing and get back to work. Thanks a lot!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]