FORUMS: list search recent posts

EXRs from Maya imported into AE have all channels black. Imported into Photoshop they look fine.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Foran
EXRs from Maya imported into AE have all channels black. Imported into Photoshop they look fine.
on Feb 10, 2020 at 6:54:41 pm

I'm trying to work with EXR sequences provided by another vendor in After Effects. When I import the sequences into AE, and apply Extractor, all of the channels, RGBA, are black. However if I import the same EXR into Photoshop they look fine (other than some gamma shift). I've resorted to transcoding all the sequences using Photoshop into 32bpc TIFF files so I can work with them. But this is very time consuming. Why isn't AE able to work with these files natively?

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
Re: EXRs from Maya imported into AE have all channels black. Imported into Photoshop they look fine.
on Feb 11, 2020 at 2:47:07 am

I don't believe it ever did but one would think in the more current versions they'd have addressed the issue. I'm still with CS6.

Check out:
https://www.fnordware.com/OpenEXR/

Return to posts index

Mike Foran
Re: EXRs from Maya imported into AE have all channels black. Imported into Photoshop they look fine.
on Feb 11, 2020 at 1:40:17 pm

Thank you. The OpenEXR plugins are now included with After Effects. They are licensed, I think, so it's not something developed directly by Adobe. However, these plugins are what I refer to when I said "natively." Nonetheless, I checked their online manual to see if I was doing anything wrong, or for troubleshooting, to no avail.

Return to posts index

Mike Foran
on Feb 11, 2020 at 1:42:26 pm

Interestingly, I can open the files in Photoshop, and then save them as EXR files and those modified EXRs open fine in After Effects. I'm not sure if any additional channel data beyond RGBA is preserved however, as I don't think these files have any depth, velocity, or other channels.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]