FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wildly Misbehaving Keyframes

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Atkinson
Wildly Misbehaving Keyframes
on Feb 3, 2020 at 4:40:09 am

I'll preface this by saying, I'm not an expert with after effects by any means, but , likewise, I'm no beginner. I largely understand the foundations of After Effects and have been using it relatively extensively for the last year. I say that to, hopefully, rule out the doubt in everyone's mind that this is due entirely to a beginner's lack of knowledge, because I'm fairly certain it's something a bit more complicated.

In short, I have a precomp with another precomp nested inside of it. This nested precomp is not time remapped. The only keyframes I'm adjusting are those of position and scale. However, the keyframes are behaving incredibly unpredictably and are almost impossible to control.

Some symptoms for example's sake:

1. Inability to select a keyframe unless dragging the cursor over it. (No direct click)

2. Inability to right-click keyframes (consequence of symptom 1)

3. Ability to edit/move a keyframe ceases after moving it on timeline (arbitrary keyframes are suddenly locked in place for no apparent reason)

4. Clicking and dragging keyframe moves it a disproportionate distance relative to the amount the mouse has traveled (much further or shorter)

5. Ease timing becomes distorted far beyond reasonable expectation when making a minor adjustment.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Maybe I'm more of a rookie than I know, but I've never encountered anything like this before. Any help would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

John Williams
Re: Wildly Misbehaving Keyframes
on Feb 3, 2020 at 10:36:32 am

Hi there, if you would be happy to send the project, I could take a look and see if I can identify the problem

John Williams

Soho Editors

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Feb 3, 2020 at 10:45:01 am

For weird UI behavior, I suggest resetting preferences as a first troubleshooting step. Close After Effects, then hold Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Windows) or Cmd+Opt+Shift (macOS) while starting Ae.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Feb 3, 2020 at 2:56:30 pm

Also, what version of AE are you using? If it's not 17.0.2, you might consider updating.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]