FORUMS: list search recent posts

Light sweep on a 3d shape layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anne Green
Light sweep on a 3d shape layer
on Feb 1, 2020 at 7:28:15 am

Hi all! How are you?
I would like to ask you a question. Right now I have a composition which consists of 2 3D extruded layers. The comp is a coin, and the 3D shape layers it's made up of are the coin "core" and the coin border, each of which are extruded different distances so that the border extrudes out more than the coin's core. The thing is, I'd like to apply a different CC Light sweep to each of the shape layers that make up the comp. I'd like the light sweep appearing on the coin core to move at a different rate than the one appearing on the coin border. This means that I can't apply the light swipe directly on the comp, because I want the individual shapes to be lit differently from each other.

However, when I get into the comp and try to apply a CC light sweep to each shape, absolutely nothing happens. No change in light, no matter where I move the light's centre (which btw has no Z coordinate). How can I achieve the effect I want? Is there no way to apply a light sweep to 3D layers?
Thank you very much!

Return to posts index

Chaz Chester
Re: Light sweep on a 3d shape layer
on Feb 1, 2020 at 2:27:56 pm

You could create luma mattes for each shape by duplicating the comp and making the part you want to affect white while everything else is black. Then if you apply the luma mattes to some 2D solids with light sweeps on them, you should be able to control each sweep individually. If I'm understanding correctly, you'd need two duplicates and two 2D layers with light sweeps, one for the core and one for the extrusion.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Feb 3, 2020 at 2:55:10 pm

You could make the coin core and the coin border out of different layers. Then you could apply the light sweeps in any way you fancy.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Anne Green
on Feb 4, 2020 at 4:48:11 am

They are different layers (as in, they're different shapes). But if I apply an adjustment layer with a light sweep on it and place this adjustment layer over both the coin core and coin border, it interprets these 3D layers as if they were flat and I don't know how I can add a light sweep that affects the coin border ONLY and another one that affects the coin core ONLY.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]