FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adding 'Sparkle' or 'Glitter' Effect to moving footage?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
guy smith
Adding 'Sparkle' or 'Glitter' Effect to moving footage?
on Jan 17, 2020 at 7:27:55 pm

https://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-1013920871-gold-nuggets-pile-moving...

hi would anyone know how to add a sparkling effect to footage such as this - a pile of gold or jewellry shot, that is moving - so the sparkles track with the footage?

When I have used an effect like a 'Glow', it glows the highlights, and if the highlights move/change, the glow changes accordingly, no tracking needed, so hopefully there is a similar sparkly effect? Thankyou!
Guy

Return to posts index

Doyle Lewis
Re: Adding 'Sparkle' or 'Glitter' Effect to moving footage?
on Jan 17, 2020 at 11:41:05 pm

Although a glow effect I think is in the right direction I think what you are asking is for it to look more metallic. A good way to do this is through an effect called CC glass. CC glass uses a layer as a bump layer to choose shiny and flat parts of your image and allows you to put in a false light to choose the directionality of the light source.

To achieve this I have made a file where I used Colorama to proceduraly create a CMY bump map from whatever footage you would want to use based off luminance and remaps it to CMY map. Then I used that map to drop in CC Glass and played with the adjustments and the light till i got something interesting. Most importantly though I did 2things:

Turned surface-> height to negative
Adjusted all my shading settings up and down to get the contrast and roughness in the shine the way I wanted

Right now CC wont let me upload the project file but when it can I will. Please let me know if you have any questions about how to do it

Doyle Lewis,
Assistant Location Manager
Warner Brother Pictures

Return to posts index

Doyle Lewis
on Jan 17, 2020 at 11:55:38 pm

I thought the video file may help demonstrate how it works better than the image:

Doyle Lewis,
Assistant Location Manager
Warner Brother Pictures

Return to posts index

Doyle Lewis
on Jan 17, 2020 at 11:58:49 pm

Sorry it didn't embed here is just the link

youtu.be/d39ndbb1Vf0

Return to posts index

guy smith
on Jan 21, 2020 at 4:51:48 pm

hi Doyle, that's a nice effect thankyou for going to the trouble of posting the video, so in fact I was thinking something less classy in a way, like a naff disney sparkly effect, but one that tracks and not just static, like Saphire Sparkle (if it tracked!) thanks for the suggestion though

Return to posts index

guy smith
on Jan 21, 2020 at 4:54:27 pm

https://videohive.net/item/hiphop-style-blingbling-3d-pendant-on-chain/2924...

like this if there is a plugin that could make it

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
on Jan 22, 2020 at 9:32:26 pm

YOU COULD duplicate the footage bring out the whites then use that as a map for optical flares using luma values to drive the optical flares...and on the plus side it works almost like a tracker

Return to posts index

guy smith
on Jan 23, 2020 at 3:30:08 pm

hi Richard thankyou I will try that, it sounds promising!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]