FORUMS: list search recent posts

timeline comp label color

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Engelkemier
timeline comp label color
on Jan 2, 2020 at 7:35:06 pm

I'm not sure why I'm JUST noticing it, but each composition that is open in your timeline has a brown square next to it, which of course, indicates the label color for a composition. You can change each layer's label color.
But can you change the composition label color itself? If not, why the heck are they showing it. The only thing that can be opened in the timeline is a composition, so what would the point of showing me the brown box?

I wanted to use a color coding system for complete, approved, updated, etc. But I can't figure out where to change the color, if it is even possible.

Anyone know if it's possible. And if not, why the heck they'd put that brown box there?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: timeline comp label color
on Jan 2, 2020 at 8:43:52 pm

Yes, you can change the label color of comps -- I use it all the time to keep organized.

Click the label color swatch for the comp in the Project panel to pull open the Label Group context menu.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Andy Engelkemier
on Jan 2, 2020 at 8:57:36 pm

I must not have been ultra clear. The actual comp you're In, not a nested comp.

But I think it's just there because you can dock the timeline anywhere you want. So it tells you that it is content. So I don't think it's possible. I want to change the color of the "tab" where there is a brown box and the composition name.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 2, 2020 at 9:41:42 pm

You're working in the Timeline panel -- reveal your comp in the project, then adjust its label in the Project panel as I mentioned above. If your Project panel doesn't have a label column, right-click on any one of the column headers in the Project panel and check "Label."

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Andy Engelkemier
on Jan 2, 2020 at 9:55:48 pm

HAHAHA, OMG. Yeah, thank you for sticking with me.
Shoot, I Rarely hit the `/~ key with my mouse over that menu, so never thought to do that. The only time I do that is to check the File Path maybe. The label was too far over, so I didn't have access.

And thank you for including how to show that label column, in case someone else comes looking for this.

I can now color code my timeline comps! Thanks.

It Would be nice to be able to do that right in the comp tab. But that's just a UX issue.

Thanks so much Walter. You did say project window, and for some reason I call that my bin. Must be legacy from some other software that I used in the early 2ks or something.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]