FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Pro Canon Camcorder Codec for use with Adobe CS6

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Norman Willis
Best Pro Canon Camcorder Codec for use with Adobe CS6
on Dec 31, 2019 at 10:28:25 pm

Hi. I am a content provider and alleged "talent" who also does all the purchasing.
Right now we have a volume license for Adobe CS6. I don't have money to upgrade it for the whole crew. I need to upgrade my camcorder, so I called Canon and they recommended their XF-405, which records in MP4. When I researched it, Adobe CS6 has had some issues consuming MP4 in the past. I don't know if it still does. I suppose I could call Adobe, but they will just tell me to upgrade to Creative Cloud (which I cannot afford). I could also convert the footage, but that is an extra step. I could also buy a slightly older Canon camera which outputs a format that Adobe CS6 supports. So, does anyone know which Canon formats CS6 supports? And which Canon codecs definitively work in CS6? And does anyone have any words of advice or wisdom to share? Thanks very much for any help or pointers.

Norman B. Willis
Apostle, Nazarene Israel
The original faith of the apostles,
as found in Acts 24 and 28
http://www.nazareneisrael.org

Return to posts index

Norman Willis
Re: Best Pro Canon Camcorder Codec for use with Adobe CS6
on Dec 31, 2019 at 10:43:13 pm

P.S., these are the specific codecs I am curious about, if they will work in CS6 (or not).

MP4
MPEG2
XF-AVC
XF Codec
MXF

Thanks very much.

Norman B. Willis
Apostle, Nazarene Israel

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Jan 1, 2020 at 8:30:58 am

The XF 405 records in XF-AVC and H264 4:2:2 and I'd wager that neither of those will import into that 7-8 year old, dead, collection of software. I'd suggest using Resolve for editing or at least transcoding If you still want to use CS6.

Return to posts index

Norman Willis
on Jan 1, 2020 at 1:08:23 pm

Tero Ahlfors, thanks for your warm fuzzy! I appreciate it. Only, budget is an issue. I am just a content creator and alleged "talent", so I don't know that much. I have heard there is a big learning curve on Resolve. Is that true? (Or not true?)

I have transcoded (Cineform) before. It was not objectionable. Would you recommend Handbrake and YUV Lossless AVI? Or what would you advise for the target transcode format for easy ingestion into CS6?

I can appreciate that Creative Cloud is far superios, but we're not really doing super-advanced stuff here, so it would really be nice to stay with CS6 as long as we can. Thanks.

Norman B. Willis
Apostle, Nazarene Israel

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Jan 1, 2020 at 7:19:42 pm

I would really, reaaaaaallly suggest using a modern NLE for modern cameras instead of trying to stay with the older software and transcoding everything. Resolve is getting there editing wise and it also has built in Fusion now for effects and Fairlight for audio. Also the basic version is free and probably does enough for your needs.

If you're used to doing effects in AE you could render out some supported format from Resolve and work on the shot in AE. That's pretty much what I do most of the time.

[Norman Willis] "Would you recommend Handbrake and YUV Lossless AVI?"

Not really. There are a bunch of good "visually lossless" formats like Prores and DNxHD but if you're on Windows it might be tough to get them working as Quicktime has been killed and every program has their own encoders/decoders for that now.

Return to posts index

Norman Willis
on Jan 1, 2020 at 9:50:06 pm

Light bulb coming on. Ok, got it! Thanks for that advice.

We took a good look at Resolve, and it seems like the same layout as every other NLE, so it can't be too hard to learn...?

Thanks again.

Norman B. Willis
Apostle, Nazarene Israel

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]