FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multiple layers “following” 1 path

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Oulashian
Multiple layers “following” 1 path
on Dec 29, 2019 at 11:02:46 pm

I am trying to make a Path that text will follow but also a stroke will follow but also various other elements will follow. I thought that was called a path mask - but I am not really "masking" anything.

The goal is to only have one master path so that if I make any changes to the path all the other layers will follow that - ie text will follow the changed path, stroke will follow changed path, you get the idea. I'm trying to figure out a way so that I don't have to copy and paste the path into multiple layers each time I need to change it. Is this possible?

Thanks!

David Oulashian

Return to posts index

Julien Schickel
Re: Multiple layers “following” 1 path
on Dec 30, 2019 at 12:23:36 am

Copy your path mask in a null layer position, than parent all the layers that should follow it to the null. I think that should do it.

Julien Schickel
Editor & motion designer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7_NVR3JLdhEYDlEQuNFfug

Return to posts index

David Oulashian
on Dec 30, 2019 at 1:42:06 am

You’d still need to have the Path in the Text layer as well, correct?

David Oulashian

Return to posts index

Julien Schickel
on Dec 30, 2019 at 1:22:06 pm

Oh it's a text path, I didn't understand that at first... That's far more complicated!

So do your path (with a mask) in the text layer.

For the stroke, create a shape layer with the pen tool, click one time anywhere, that creates you a form with a path. Link this path to your text mask path, that should be create an expression like this:

thisComp.layer("your text").mask("Mask 1").maskPath

For your other layers that should follow, go to the window menu and open Create Nulls From Path. That should open a window with three options (nulls follow path, path follows nulls, trace path). Select you text mask path and click on Trace Path.

That will create a Null linked to your mask Path, moving on it (with two keyframes automatically created for the time of the movement). Then you can link all your objects to this Null, so they will follow your original Path.

Julien Schickel
Editor & motion designer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7_NVR3JLdhEYDlEQuNFfug

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]