FORUMS: list search recent posts

Finding image areas that don't change to fix dirty image

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Frisch
Finding image areas that don't change to fix dirty image
on Dec 10, 2019 at 4:19:52 am

I made my own teleprompter, and it worked great! Then I mounted it to my homemade steadicam, and it was even better. But now that the teleprompter is moving around, I've come to realize that there is a problem- the cloth that covers the top of the teleprompter isn't light proof enough. Why am I asking this here? Well, I've got a nice long walk-n-talk shot of my actor talking to camera, and when the camera passes underneath a light, you can see it in the footage lightening a few spots in the frame. The spots don't change with respect to the lens, so I'm thinking if I can make a mask that matches the spots, and then color correct to darken them, perhaps I can limit the problem. So my question is this:

Is there a way to go through the clip and automatically create a mask that matches those parts of the scene that are slightly lighter in color than they are normally? It's pretty subtle, and I don't really see it with my eyes on a still, only when it's in motion. It would be some sort of comparison filter. Probably not possible, but I figured I'd ask on here.

Any ideas are welcome. Should have noticed on set sooner. Live and learn.

Return to posts index

Jim Arco
Re: Finding image areas that don't change to fix dirty image
on Dec 11, 2019 at 12:07:11 am

See if you can find a frame or two from pre-roll or outtakes that has a flat background. Ideally, it would be a gray card, but you could get close with just a plain wall somewhere. To get a starting point, invert that and blur it slightly.

It will, at best, be an approximation. Be aware that it is only going to work at that particular focal length and you'll need to shrink or enlarge it depending on the zoom.

Jim
Colorburst Video

Return to posts index

Tom Frisch
Re: Finding image areas that don't change to fix dirty image
on Dec 11, 2019 at 12:16:15 am

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately I don't have a good shot to pull the mask from, so I think I'm going to do some spot fixes, or just cover with b-roll. No one wants to watch a talking head anyways!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]